Author Topic: Question about runner neans  (Read 1181 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Question about runner neans
« on: March 01, 2020, 02:41:40 »
Hi. I have grown them for years but always outside on a trellis. I no longer have that option.

I have a decent sized green house and for the last 2 seasons I have grown regular tall gowing (pole)  beans in it as they don't need the bees.

I have three packets of runner beans which are marketed as self setting. Tenderstar,Forestorm and Snowstorm. I have read what I can about them and the info says things like will get good pollination when the weather makes the bees scarce.

I want to grow them in my greenhouse, so there will be no bees or wind. Does anyone know how they will do in that situation.

My space is very limited so I don't want to waste it if the production is poor.

Thanks in advance  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Question about runner neans
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 11:38:57 »
  I want to grow them in my greenhouse, so there will be no bees or wind. Does anyone know how they will do in that situation.

This can happen outdoors here in the UK (although rarely I have found) and the recommended advice is:

Spray the plants with water when they are in flower to help the flowers to set, and pinch out the growing points when the plants have reached the top of their supports.

A mulch of peat/compost or grass clippings 25 mm (1") deep will also help to preserve moisture and raise the humidity within the greenhouse which again should aid pollination!

Here is a couple of photos of how I grow my French Climbing beans in a greenhouse and I never spray them as a rule.

I think draughts from the open door is enough to waft the pollen around, plus there could be other insects around (rather than bees) that might do the business!!

So I guess these suggestions might work in your situation!....................at least it is worth a try!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 06:12:49 »
Tee Gee I too grown the French beans with no problem, but this time i want to use runner beans and they need the bees usually
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 01:54:51 »
Thanks TG, I didn't read your answer properley the first time.I will give it a shot.I do have to close the door or the local critters get in but so far the raccons haven't figured out how to get through the roof vents.Thay can get through the screens on the door though so it has to be shut.I do have  afan in there so maybe that will do it..Ta  XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal