Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 2429 times)

small

• Hectare
Carrots
« on: January 29, 2020, 15:15:25 »
I've just started lifting what's left of my carrots before they start to sprout and go woody in the ground. Not too much slug damage for saying how wet the plot has been, and very little carrot fly - problem now is, finding room in the freezer. Oh, and getting the colour off my hands, I can't peel in rubber gloves unfortunately!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 17:32:24 »
Picked some for tea today, but it will be "Soup Time" soon.....

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 18:30:33 »
I put mine in a tray of sand in the autumn and they have started to sprout so hoping they will be ok my daughter had some at the weekend and I keep forgetting to ask if they alright
Barnsley S Yorks

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 18:18:22 »
Mine have gone mad this year - or I over planted!
We have pounds and pounds of the things left to pick and with the weather being warmer than it should the blighters are getting hairy and regrowing so I'll have to take the lot soon.
I've been scouting for ideas and have a few recipes but it isn't going to use them all up..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 07:31:28 »
Better too many than to run out I suppose......

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 10:02:11 »
I always leave a few in to flower , much easier than trying to grow fancy white fillers for the vase.
On the recipe front, a pot of smoked hummus or peanut sate sauce can see off a large number of batons .

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 10:47:33 »
I have plenty and still a few more to dig, loads spoiled with splitting where they got a bit dry in the late summer then got a glut of water later. They are supposed to be alright to eat with careful preparation but they go in the compost as they just do not look appetising. I bring a couple back for the dogs as they love munching fresh carrots.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 12:56:26 »
I'm intending to "transplant" some into the flower borders Markfield... our allotment neighbours didn't clear out a bed last year and as you say the flower stems were great with other cut flowers... might keep OH off the asparagus fern too

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 08:45:58 »
On the recipe front, a pot of smoked hummus or peanut sate sauce can see off a large number of batons .

Got any recipes?  Does satay sauce have carrots in?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 12:58:55 »
Carrot cake, carrot soup, carrot sticks for dipping in smoked mackerel pâté.......https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=carrot

The last few times I sowed carrots in my Belgian veg plot nothing came of them.  I tried some in a pot  and they germinated well but just grew a forest of green and no roots.    Haven't tried here yet but I'm keen as even the well-grown ones here don't have much flavour.   Any tips for success?
Obxx - Vendée France

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 18:14:56 »
BarriedaleNick , sorry no recipe, just carrots as crudités but there was something about the peanut sate dip and carrot .

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 18:20:12 »
Obelxx , have you seen Home Grown Veg on YouTube? He has a very interesting film on growing carrots in buckets , and there was a  huge difference in how the seed was sown , needs to be seen to be believed.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 18:49:57 »
No, but I'll certainly have a look.  Thanks.
Obxx - Vendée France

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 16:19:16 »
I cannot get my head around leaving carrots in until this time of the year. One of my fellow plot holders has 2 currently 2 rows under netting where the carrots are hairy and full of carrot fly ( because he did not secure his netting enough). I grow 6 rows of carrots under enviromesh netting . High enough for me to crawl in to initial weed and thin out . I do not get carrot fly but I begin freezing as soon as they are finger size and by late September they are all up and frozen. I grow 3/4 different types also for exhibition in tubes within the same net. I give a lot away to neighbours and relatives but I would be embarrassed to give big hairy carrots even to the worst relatives.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 16:38:05 »
Must admit hairy carrots seem more like candidates for the funny veg thread.

How do you freeze your carrots?  Whole, sticks, slices, grated? 
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 16:54:26 »

Ready prepared in slices, then put them in the steamer without defrosting first when I need them.   :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 09:27:45 »

I'm experimenting with Sous Vide.  Froze a few packs a while back after sous viding them in butter.  Open a pack and into the frying pan - seems to work really well but needs some fine tuning.

I still have loads in the ground and bags full in the kitchen waiting to be processed.   I always leave in the ground until this time of the year because there is nothing like a fresh carrot form the ground and into the pan.  I dig them up before it gets too warm and store so I can eat carrots right up till April or May
I noticed that the Chantenay and Autumn King are completely fine while some of the purple ones have gone a bit hairy..

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 11:26:55 »
Sous-vide sounds good.  OH bought me a machine for Xmas last year - utterly useless piece of kit for me and it's just sat on teh shelf but maybe, if I get any carrots, it'll prove useful after all.
Obxx - Vendée France

small

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 15:33:58 »
I still haven't lifted all mine, another part row last week and no sign of hair, yet. I freeze mine in sticks and then cook from frozen as required. I still have some in the freezer from last year, they will be turned into soup with old parsnips and JAs.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 20:44:08 »
I still have some to lift, but some are going to be transplanted for the flowers.
It was a box of parsnips, dug out yesterday and  today frozen down or souped.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal