Author Topic: Anyone else find Marfona spuds very susceptible to pest damage?  (Read 1430 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
I grew Marfona again this year, for the first time since I lost almost every one of the variety a few years ago when a familiy of voles set up home underneath the row and ate them from underneath.

I thought it was a one-off but as you can see from the photo once again the voles (and slugs) have savaged my Marfona. A couple of Linda were also munched, but the Marfona were much worse, and I had less slug damage than usual on the rest of my tubers, so it really sticks out.

Are they particularly tasty to critters, or am I just unlucky?

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Anyone else find Marfona spuds very susceptible to pest damage?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 07:37:16 »
I tried them once... I have heavy soil... and as you say they were slug magnets.. but not voles thankfully... just assumed thay had been developed for a light sandy soil where slugs are less prevalent.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 12:17:02 »
I grew Marfona again this year, for the first time since I lost almost every one of the variety a few years ago when a familiy of voles set up home underneath the row and ate them from underneath.

I thought it was a one-off but as you can see from the photo once again the voles (and slugs) have savaged my Marfona. A couple of Linda were also munched, but the Marfona were much worse, and I had less slug damage than usual on the rest of my tubers, so it really sticks out.

Are they particularly tasty to critters, or am I just unlucky?

Adrian

Oh dear that's not encouraging to try again.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 21:56:21 »
You may have a pooint, saddad, sounds as though I'm not alone. Pumpkinlover, I don't think they will get a third try!

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal