Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 1983 times)

cudsey

• Half Acre
Carrots
« on: October 15, 2019, 18:46:22 »
I have got a good crop of carrots this year and I was wondering how long they can be left in the ground they are covered in netting
Barnsley S Yorks

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 20:00:53 »
MY autumn kings will be left in the ground all winter and dug as needed. No netting as they look like they are still growing. I expect colder places might want to lift and store before the end of the month but I have dug them well after xmas  even in the snow. I get a few splitters now and again but as there are plenty there I put up with it and the dogs eat those.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 22:20:12 »
Yes but,
if your ground is saturated they will rot
if you have a dense slug load, they will eat them
if you have rats and voles ,ditto
if you have hard frosts, they will freeze and perhaps go mushy.
You might cover them in straw if conditions do not have the above, the Scottish commercial crop is treated thus, and appear on the market in early Spring.
You might wish to lift them and store in moist, cool, dark conditions, perhaps layered into sand or peat.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:08:07 »
My carrots invariably have their tops eaten by mice and voles if left in any later than this. In fact I’m kicking myself for not lifting them earlier as a majority of them are half chewed already. I lift them and put them in sand in a rodent-proof chest. Perhaps my mice and voles are particularly active but I wouldn’t leave the carrots in over winter.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 08:22:59 »
Forgot to mention, I have put loads in the freezer, you lose the fresh taste but if there is a mishap with the ones in the ground we have plenty. I do grow more than I need anyway as a 20p packet of seed usually goes in if there is a spare space to be used.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 08:52:17 »
I always leave mine in the ground but I am in London so a hard ground frost is pretty rare.  Last year though the squirrels had a field day with them so I may need another plan - I am leaving the netting up around them to se if that helps..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:23:16 »
We are not troubled with tree rats down here, just the red variety which are very timid and stick to the woods out of the way. Last year I managed to get quite a few bags of coffee grounds. I found these deter a lot of the nastier critters. Coffee shops are glad to get rid of them. Carrots grow well with them.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 10:27:51 »
If you have damage from carrot fly then ones that have a little damage can be saved if surgery is done quickly, but if you leave them in the soil you could lose them all.

It's worth examining a good wide sample now, because carved-clean carrots store well (headless or tail-less), and the clamp that ancellsfarmer describes can be better than the fridge - it even works well for apples - the ones I find after the squirrels bury them in my big tomato pots are better than the ones from my fridge (even using the recommended pierced bags).

In my experience spent growbag compost works pretty much as well as peat - as long as it isn't too damp or absolutely dust-dry - worth trying anyway - you could change to virgin peat for the later months if you are worried - by then you'd only need a much smaller clamp.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 15:20:17 »
I leave mine in over winter to lift as needed, then in about March lift and freeze what are left. Although I have squirrels and slugs,  they don't seem to bother with carrots. Some winters the patch is totally waterlogged, too. When I've lifted and stored in sand or dry compost, they've gone hairy, I hate that. Freeze some, clamp some, leave some, one method is bound to work for you!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 10:43:04 »
Thanks for all your tips I shall try something of all of them and see what happens
Barnsley S Yorks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 12:17:56 »
and if all else fails lift them and process as soup... carrot and coriander or your personal choice and freeze in portions.. ideal to take to work as part of a lunch if there is a microwave.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 12:30:22 »
I’ve got a large plastic container and was considering using it as a clamp in the greenhouse. Mice have been known to frequent the greenhouse though so was wondering if I’d need to put a heavy lid onto it to prevent them being nibbled. When I look up clamps though it appears ventilation is needed ( the outside clamps use a straw chimney from what I can see) and presume that means the produce might rot?  Any advice please on which is the best option for storing ?
Thanks

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 14:31:42 »
Carrot and coriander the soup from hell, Now I have a bag packed to go either way but if they do eat it down there it could be enough for me to mend my ways. :toothy10:

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 18:29:17 »
I dug quite a few up this morning mud as well and have frozen them they seemed to be in a good condition so was quite pleased still another raised bed to deal with now
Barnsley S Yorks

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 11:23:23 »
I’ve got a large plastic container and was considering using it as a clamp in the greenhouse. Mice have been known to frequent the greenhouse though so was wondering if I’d need to put a heavy lid onto it to prevent them being nibbled. When I look up clamps though it appears ventilation is needed ( the outside clamps use a straw chimney from what I can see) and presume that means the produce might rot?  Any advice please on which is the best option for storing ?
Thanks

It sounds like you need a mesh lid - the holes would have to be smaller than a biro to keep mice out - some grades of "metal lathing" for plasterwork fit the bill.

Clamps depend on steady low-ish temperatures - that's why sheds are ideal. The average temperature in your greenhouse might be low enough if you are far enough north but the fluctuations could still be a problem. You could cover the whole box & mesh to shade and insulate it  - old carpet?

At this time of year the shady parts of the plot are getting less and less useful so it's tempting to bury your container with metal mesh over the top, then bricks and a wider "roof"  above that (if you're sure the sides are tough enough to deter mice and rats).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 09:08:22 »
Thanks Vinlander, thats really very helpful. I may aim to clear out our small shed today to make space for a clamp. Was going for the greenhouse as having most space but maybe I can put some shed items in there instead. I have some garden mesh and covers in there so may use them for insulation around the box as well. Just need to source metal mesh for the top now. Thanks again

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal