Author Topic: What are people planting now  (Read 2152 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
What are people planting now
« on: September 07, 2019, 22:42:02 »
Hi All,

I am about to start clearing out beds and greenhouse and wondered what people are looking to plant now?

Hope you have had a wonderful growing year :)

Cam

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: What are people planting now
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:57:36 »
Still have loads of tomatoes coming in the polytunnel and outdoors too so not clearing them just yet.   The peppers are only just fruiting so they'll be hanging on for some time afterwards?   We use the PT for over-wintering the pots of fuchsias and smaller Japanese maples and early sowings of perennials.   I might try some salads if I can get some sown in the next week or two.

I have recently planted some Savoy and cauli plugs outside and plan to add more, plus broccoli, for a succession and then garlic and maybe some onions when we have cleared beds outside.
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 16:20:49 »
Maybe some spring onions, winter lettuce and some radish.  Off on hols next week so getting lazy!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

florence

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 20:45:00 »
Have just sown winter salads - land cress, purslane, corn salad, spinach and winter lettuce. Broad beans, overwintering peas, garlic and onion sets will go in later. Have also planted some flower seeds for next spring...

Happy sowing.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 18:54:57 »
Still got loads of stuff cropping well, plus plenty of root crops awaiting harvest for winter vegetable use but what I am planting right now is

!!! fanfare !!!

green manure.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 13:59:37 »
I agree with Beersmith and Florence... Green Manures like Phacalia where the spuds came up and Winter salads and Radish. Decided against O/Winter onions and B Beans this time.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 14:07:14 »
Still got loads of stuff cropping well, plus plenty of root crops awaiting harvest for winter vegetable use but what I am planting right now is

!!! fanfare !!!

green manure.
All of the above
Find I can buy brown mustard seed from my local 'oriental grocer' ,200grams for 95pence. Sow at 1gram per square metre =0.45pence per sq mtre.
It is capable of reaching 600mm , is not frost hardy so can be allowed to die in situ , and then covered with tarp, leaving no visible remains by April. Allegedly discourages soil pests such as wireworm.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 23:32:31 »
So i had to quickly clear the greenhouse as it got some 4 legged visitors with a taste for tomatoes i picked about a kilo and the plants will be ripped out in a week and the planters cleared (needed to happen anyway as its been a few years with the same crops. So am now working on alternative planting solutions for the greenhouse :) lots of fun but sadly my planting plans for one more crop in there has ended. I am sowing another row of carrots and parsnips this week i think its a bit late for parsnips but well i have half a pack of seeds left :)

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 01:03:33 »
Good luck with your parsnips cambourne, let us know how they get on :)

I've been planting turnips, onions and winter 'Kintoki' carrots this month with radish, lettuce, spinach, claytonia, wheat & rye to follow... I better get on with it! In October I'll sow the beloved peas and broad beans.

Have an awful lot of mature yet unripe tomatoes at my disposal - they're in a box with bananas and apples but is there a better way to get them to ripen?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 10:06:45 »
This is a good way for them to ripen.  Our last tomatoes, usually cherries, are ripe at Christmas and usually form part of our Christmas starter.  These are however greenhouse tomatoes harvested last, often in November.  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal