Author Topic: Before & After  (Read 1933 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Before & After
« on: June 29, 2019, 20:56:37 »
Hi Guys

I visited my old plot today and took a few photos!

Thought you might like to see the changes that have been made to my old plot.

Have a look in here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Test%20Area/Plot%2020%20Before%20&%20After/Plot%2020%20+6%20months/Before%20&%20After.htm

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Before & After
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 23:24:33 »
I'm certainly of the skip-diving generation, and think an allotment should ease the family budget but good luck to him. If it works for him and he enjoys his plot and stay around what more can we ask?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 08:53:45 »
He's certainly invested a lot of time, money and effort and is at least working the plot to a plan.  Good luck to him.

Better that than have to see all your carefully nurtured soil being neglected, running to ruin and full of weeds.
Obxx - Vendée France

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 16:35:52 »
Well, as we all know, There's nowt so queer as folk! But as said before, at least you didn't find the plots neglected!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 18:16:16 »
Likely he's not 'Yorkshire' then?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 21:06:30 »
Better than have to see all your carefully nurtured soil being neglected, running to ruin and full of weeds.

Indeed!  Great that you're former plot is being well tended, but I have seen many many beautifully kept plots fall into total neglect under new tenants.  When I give up my well loved plots, I for one will resist the temptation to check go back and see how they are progressing. That way my memories will be of all the happy hours I spent there and not the disappointment of seeing it overgrown with weeds.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 13:59:54 »
Absolutely!  I am very careful never to go near our former home and graden in Belgium when I go back to visit or fetch/deposit my student daughter.  They aren't gardeners and all my treasures are, apparently, in a woeful state.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 14:45:05 »
Thinking of the cost, all up front or a gradual trickle? I wondr how much it has cost me over the years and I am a skip diver. The returns are good even if they are a tad more than you can pay for shop veg. But it is a healthy hobby. Not as expensive as my quest for the perfect ale, but cheaper than if I was a football supporter with all the travel and season tickets. Spend it if you have got it, there  ain't no pockets in a shroud.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 17:29:23 »
The thing that came to my mind with this type of gardening is what /how will he deal with the end of season clear-out and preparation for the following year!

All the beds are covered with weed suppressant fabric so will he lift this, dig, then put it back again?

If he puts it back after digging then the winter weather (frost &snow) will not get at it, something that I have always maintained is a good thing for the soil!

Then there is access to the beds?

Will he remove his giant cloches/mini-tunnels?

To my mind; although they are quite large they are hardly high enough to work under in my opinion????

Then there is the cost, maintenance and the effort he will have to put in each year both to prepare the soil and plant out!

To conclude; Yes I am happy with the effort that he is putting into the plot and pleased that it will still be potentially a very productive plot, but I think the work to make it productive (annually) seems to be quite high.

Seems like a lot of effort to me but as they say: Each to their own!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 20:06:40 »
I wonder how much it has cost me over the years . . .

But think of all the enjoyment you have had over the years.  Also many of the major items of expenditure - shed,  greenhouse, fruit cage etc repay the investment over the long term. Anyway I don't want to make a profit I just want to grow as much of my own stuff as I can.

P.S. Loved the comment about shrouds. Much like my thinking when my doctor suggests I lose weight. I can't think why. There will be six strapping young lads from the local co-op to carry my box. I don't think me losing a few pounds will make any difference!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 23:02:13 »
Thinking of the cost, all up front or a gradual trickle? I wondr how much it has cost me over the years and I am a skip diver. The returns are good even if they are a tad more than you can pay for shop veg. But it is a healthy hobby. Not as expensive as my quest for the perfect ale, but cheaper than if I was a football supporter with all the travel and season tickets. Spend it if you have got it, there  ain't no pockets in a shroud.

Ace also you know what has been near your plants....no pesticides etc so much healthier than some shop bought.... and it keep us fitter :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal