Author Topic: a spade by any other name  (Read 4417 times)

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
a spade by any other name
« on: April 04, 2005, 22:21:28 »
 having used my cheap B&Q spade to death... :o(bent it when digging a deep root out) I am faced with buying a new spade. what type, stainless steel, carbon iron, d-handle, t-handle...how long..wooden shaft, metal shaft..so many choices...I do prefer the hertiage tyle wooden d hand stainles steel type. howver to clear a lottie of heavy grasses and couch grass I bought a medium azada from get digging (www.get-digging.co.uk). this has helped clear the ground quickly and esy with less back ache ;D. try it if you have a lot of ground to clear.

so what have people used, what works, whats a gimmick....

wardy

• Hectare
Re: a spade by any other name
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 22:25:20 »
I prefer wooden handles forks and spades as they less likely to give your sore hands and blisters. 
I came, I saw, I composted

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 22:31:48 »
I ordered a spade and a fork from Amazon yesterday. We have one set which now lives at the allotment so now we needed another set to live at home for the garden use. I like the wooden handles, nicer to hold, and stainless steel is easier when digging clay. Thought I got a good deal with Amazon, spade and fork (Faithfull), both for £24.97 including delivery. My OH received the Faithfull catalogue today and they're advertising them each for £27 plus delivery.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 00:09:23 »
I do most digging with a fork, so have a lovely Wilkinson sword with 15 year guarantee. It felt odd to begin with but I soon got used to it.

My spade is actually a border spade - great for ladies as it's not as heavy! But it does allow me to dig trenches/holes etc when necessary. The only downside is it doesn't allow as much leverage as a full sized one so I have to be careful.

Both have D-handles, which I rather like cos I can string them on the hoe and carry them to the plot over my shoulder!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 07:29:07 »
I have read much about the long handled spades used abroad...we are apparently the only people in the UK to use  the conventional spade as 'we' know it

'Apparently' this long handled spade is easier to use.. anyone tried them...I am tempted to have a go

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 11:06:30 »
I bought a long-handled spade from Notcutts last year, wooden handle - stainless blade for about £9 in their sale. From their 'World Heritage series' but it has a squared-off, normal style blade.

I had my doubts about not having a 'D' end on the handle but I got used to it in minutes. I rate it a very good buy -especially if you're taller- as I'm shifting more earth with less back-ache than before. Lots of leverage when you want it and you just bend your knees and slide your hand down the handle when you don't.

Looks good as well -it's the one tool I won't leave on the allotment ;)

Jeremy.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 11:07:54 »
http://www.chillington.co.uk/northafrica.html

This is what I use! (Absolutely brilliant for clearing overgrown areas!)
I did 4 hours clearing yesterday on a new plot and no backache!!
I have the top *hoe* type and one of the forked ones.
I do have a regular spade and fork too, but wouldn't be without my chillingtons! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 12:41:31 »
yes very good for clearing areas. i have a similar one from get digging (see above). less back ache.  i will have to consider a long handle spade as i have "diggers knee" at present. less bending will be good ....... ;D

how have people found the modern plastic foam gripped handles, and stems? my BQ spade had plastic nylon handle which was ok but the plastic shaft stripped out of the metal shaft.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 13:02:04 »
a few weeks ago, lidls had their gardening promotion.
i bought a long handled s/s/ fork there - works very well. as was said before, the longer handle gives better leverage and less backache

i also have a set of fork and ;spade from b&q - usefull for when there is two of us digging and also to shift any earth, making trenches and holes etc. then a spade is indeed needed

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 14:16:24 »
I have my Dad's spade, which was my grandad's spade... its probably at least 40 years old  ;D Needs sharpening though, how do you go about sharpening a spade?

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 15:35:11 »
how do you go about sharpening a spade?
Use a file
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 16:27:56 »
I got myself a Chillington hoe from a tool company on the internet for just over a tenner.  On some of the gardening websites it's £27 odd!   The handle is a bit short and I'm only a shortarse!!  ;D  I've not used it yet though
I came, I saw, I composted

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 21:47:47 »
We turned over most of the rough ground with one of those asian hoe type thingies that is affectionately known as the 'chivver' when we're on site.  The guy next door to us (aged 96 would you believe - what a felllow!) enquired if it was one of "them spades that the natives use".
Works a treat.
Get with the beat Baggy

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 22:19:05 »
 :( I Googled "Chivver" and got a knife ??? I then Googled "Asian Hoe" and got embarrassed, don't even go there :o I bet yo all do ;D :o :o :o

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 23:08:20 »
ahhh bless
you best be careful what you google
surf safe

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 00:26:13 »
Proper azadas are very desirable  ;D

I bought a small sized azada with a handle like a hammer at a bargain store £1, Could have been Poundstretcher ? I actually got two one to use as it is and the other to put a long handle on.

I do most of my "digging" with a long handled right angle fork and a really long hoe they are ancient inherited tools but easy to use.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 08:34:05 »
Yes we got a small azada (asian hoe thingy) from pound land.  We call that the slug dispatcher.  One swipe with  the sharpened end and it's bye bye sluggy.  Don't know why the azzzdazdzda thing got called the chivver - my in laws brought it over from Sri Lanka where it had been doing 'real' work - but we couldn't remember the Ceylonese (native, see above reply) name for it.
Off to plant calabrese seedlings - catch ya all later.
Get with the beat Baggy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal