Author Topic: leeks  (Read 4407 times)

Justy

• Hectare
leeks
« on: April 04, 2005, 19:58:29 »
I have sown leeks outside in a seed tray as only have little half lottie and not enough room for a seed bed.  They seem to have germinated really well but look like spindly little blades of grass/chives.  Is this normal?  When should I transplant them into bigger pots?

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 20:35:06 »
Perfectly normal.

I sow mine in 4 to 6 inch pots and then transplant at pencil thickness to their final resting place. I have not sown any leeks as yet but will be soon.

If you sow in succession you should have leeks for about 6 months of the year, if not longer.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 07:13:36 »
However - if they are like a lawn in the tray, maybe they should be pri***d out into something else at wider spacing?

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 08:19:53 »
However - if they are like a lawn in the tray, maybe they should be pri***d out into something else at wider spacing?
Stupid question I'm afraid... how do you prick out leeks?  I thought you were supposed to hold the seedlings by the seed leaves when pricking out - and leeks don't have them! ???
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 08:57:00 »
Just hold them by what God gave them - they don't mind!!

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 09:37:49 »
Thanks Tim - see I told you it was a stupid question!  ;D  That'll be my first job tomorrow morning then
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 18:13:32 »
have now pricked mine out but they look rather pathetic little spindly things all alone in their pots!  How big should they be before planting them on lottie?  Don't need hardening as they have been outside all the time.

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 18:16:30 »
I plant mine when they are about as thick as a pencil, but I have only just sown mine. I guess I am behind the times again :(

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 19:20:20 »
Justy - s.d the rules - you can put them out as thick as chives, if you really have to.

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 19:31:28 »
A friend of mine was saying that when he has planted his main crop of leeks he plants the rest a lot closer together then uses then like spring onions I suppose.  May well try this myself as I am trying 3 varities this time.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 09:21:37 »
I seem to be having trouble with leeks already. Keep sowing trays of them and most of the first bunch keeled over - damping off?. Second and third trays were mostly lost in the devestating mini-greenhouse blow over! Have now also tried direct sowing as well, and crossing fingers, toes etc!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 09:46:17 »
I seem to be having trouble with leeks already. Keep sowing trays of them and most of the first bunch keeled over - damping off?.

Did you see my post re-damping off and Cheshunt Compound? it really is wortwhile using it. ;)   Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 09:52:41 »
Could they be drying out?
Looking at a leek seedling you wouldn't expect them to need much water, however, I've found that leek seedlings are better suited to quite a damp medium. Every couple of days or so I float the whole tray in water and let them draw up as much as possible. I don't water inbetween, they seem to thrive on a bottom soaking better than a top watering.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 10:32:07 »
I never let my table leeks as in musselburgh etc  get too big in their seed tray, as soon as they get the grass leaves (The Flat ones) and the plant is about 8or9inch long I dibble a hole,  put  a pinch of superphosphate in the bottom, drop leek in and fill hole with water .. Sometimes there is only an inch of leaf protruding from hole . I dont top and tail  them before planting . I do space seeds out in seed tray when I am setting them .cheers jim

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:34:27 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 10:43:12 »
and I second that advise Growmore, i like to plant them out before they get to big
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 10:58:26 »
Could they be drying out?
Looking at a leek seedling you wouldn't expect them to need much water, however, I've found that leek seedlings are better suited to quite a damp medium.

Yes kenkew, this could be quite possible. When so many keeled over to start with and I assumed damping off, I got a bit concerned that I was watering too much and slowed right down. Shall flood the ones I have, they are in quite well-draining peat-free compost.  ;D

AlanG, is cheshunt organic?

as soon as they get the grass leaves (The Flat ones) and the plant is about 8or9inch long I dibble a hole,  put  a pinch of superphosphate in the bottom, drop leek in and fill hole with water .. 

Hmmm, the oldest batch I have are nearly 8 weeks old now, and they're lucky if they're 4 or 5 inches long  :(

Oh well, I am sure I will get it right at some point   ;) Cheers everyone, will try to take some photos and post for further reference  :D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 11:26:00 »
Got one lot that I were in the greenhouse - seed tray now outside along with Kelsae hardening off. I want a pogo stick - will that make holes for the leeks to go in? I found that if you water the holes first, then make the hole again, not as much soil goes back in when you water them after the leeks have been put in (does that make any sense?  1) make hole, 2) water it, 3) make hole again, 4) add leek, 5) water again, 6) go do something else.)
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 14:53:11 »
Not much to add but last year I planted mine next to the butternut squash (first time I have grown it) and by the autumn the leeks were promptly taken over and killed by the squash. I will not do that again!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 09:55:04 »
Makes loads of sense multi..I do it similar .Push long dibber in, water round dibber ,Pull dibber out  leaves a nice neat hole...Jim..
Cheers .. Jim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 10:31:43 »
Excellent.  Leeks can go in then.  I sense a busy planting day approaching!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal