Author Topic: Dual variety pear tree  (Read 1405 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Dual variety pear tree
« on: April 04, 2019, 13:08:36 »
Bought it from Lidl  a number of years ago.  One variety flowers well and last year had four pears, the previous year three.  The other variety had a few flowers last year but they all fell off.  Again this year the one variety has loads of flowers while the other has only a very few. 

So I need advise.  Do I just leave it, maybe having extra leaves is a good thing.  Or do I prune off the non producing half of the tree, and make the thing more upright and a better shape. 

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Dual variety pear tree
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 15:17:22 »
I expect they have to cross pollinate so best leave both varieties. I think I may have a similar purchased a few years ago at lidlyaldi. The conference side gives out plenty of fruit but the 'william'? only has a few fruits but plenty of flowers. Having the extra side does not take any room up so I would leave it alone. I do have a stand alone conference which gets weighed down with fruit since I planted the family tree near it. If you have any friends with another variety beg a couple of slips and graft them on as well because the rootstock should be good for three varieties.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 17:34:20 »
Thank you that sound like a good plan.  I might try grafting on a quince.   Not sure the conference needs the other one.  The year before last the three fruits set, but the other produced no flowers.   When I  saw the flowers last year I thought it has finally got going, only to watch them fall off.   

I grafted a couple of apples a few years ago and one is doing very well.   My OH trod on the other one, so it is not looking so happy.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 18:13:21 »
Most probably your pears are on a quince rootstock. There must be a way of making it offset a shoot without having to graft a quince. I used to have a giant pear tree that needed pruning badly after it was damaged in the 'hurricane'. I set to it with a mission, unfortunately the following years all I got was quince as I had mistakenly  cut out all the pearwood. We cut it all back again and grafted every different pear we could get cuttings of. Moved house shortly after and I have not seen it for thirty years so I don't know if it ever went back to pears.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:41:33 »
If you wanted a Williams and a Conference then you should try Concorde - it's a cross between Conference and Doyenne de Comice (which has a better flavour than Williams) and you can taste both in it - a good cropper with less stony fruit than Conference (and a much less stony skin).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 12:12:57 »
I have a family tree - Williams, Concorde and Conference. About 15 years old from either Lidl or Poundstretcher. Right now the tree is in full bloom pretty well equally on all varieties.

I prefer the Concorde too. I find the Williams rather bland and lemony in flavour.

Hoping for a good harvest (not expecting any late frosts here in the southwest).

Tricia  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 13:50:37 »
I preserve a lot of pears.  And Williams is very delicious out of a kilner jar in mid-winter.  For fresh eating I agree, Conference and Comice are far better  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 14:03:35 »
i have 7 different pear varieties  all espalier here on the sunshine coast comice and williams seem to be the best but we do have a lot of sunshine making williams sweet juicy and with the advantage they can be eaten straight fron the trees a warm sun ripened pear is simply devine  i did get a tree from aldi a few years ago it had an itilain sounding name a large pear with a red blush to it again sweet and juicy  neills winter another winner gorham excellent not so keen on beth concorde  conference 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal