Author Topic: bad back  (Read 4865 times)

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
bad back
« on: April 03, 2005, 22:34:31 »
hi everyone
been digging all day and well i hate coach grass and mares tails and i have the mother of all bad backs
any top tips
apart from getting a digger lol ;)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: bad back
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 22:51:55 »
Seriously, you *must* listen to your back when you are gardening. It's so easy to overdo and end up permanently hurt.

I am sitting here with sciatica twinges, a legacy of too much digging in one session two years ago. It too six months of continual painkillers (Voltarol is my friend) and a very patient physio, who explained that half the problem *in my case* was that I was tensing it to compensate - which makes it worse. I had to learn to relax and be positive and eventually things eased. The irony was that her first advice was to do what I find most relaxing - but that was gardening!

I only tore two inner disc membranes (annular tear), which can heal up eventually. But are still painful.

I'd go to the GP tomorrow if it's not eased and you didn't sleep well.
They should a) give painkillers and b) send you to the physio if it's bad. If it's *really* bad and the waiting list is silly, consider asking about for a private physio to keep you moving before the NHS one arrives. I wish I'd done this - it took a month to get my first appt by which time I'd been walking like a crab for weeks and muscles had already got stuck.  I still can't fully stretch down my right side, and probably never will.

caveat: I'm not medically trained and just speaking from personal experience. 

I really hope you feel better tomorrow!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 00:04:45 »
thankyou
i realy hope that you feel better soon and that i will take what you say with a great deal off thought as my wife is always telling me to stop if my back hurts
it was a old rugby injuary

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 10:00:55 »
Have a digging party! Round up all your family and friends and ask them to bring a fork. In return you could provide them with a bbq lunch (think Roy did something similar last week?) or promise them a share in your harvest later in the season. Even if you only get one or two beds under control this season, you'll be amazed how much you can grow in a small space. Cover the bits you can't manage this year with thick cardboard and load mulch (manure) on top. It should supress the weeds this year and will more than likely be nice and soft to start digging at the end of the season when the weeds slow down in their growth by which time you could have another digging party! Whatever you do, don't push yourself too hard, what's the use of having a lovely dug over plot if you're too sore to bend down and plant all your lovely veg plants and reap the harvest.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 10:40:51 »
Do some back stretches before you start, and in breaks whilst you're digging, I find this helps me a lot. Also use tools that are the right size, Before this year I used my dads old border spade, small blade but a short handle, fine for him as he's only 5'7". I'm 6'2" and it killed me. This year I've got a long-handled spade witha normal sized blade and , although I'm lifting more earth at a go, I find my back is better.

Lastly -try no-dig gardening, it works!

Jeremy

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 11:30:01 »
Always wear a good thick leather belt on lotty and when digging tighten it up a notch..A weight lifters belt gives You very good back support..
                                                                                                   Jim
Cheers .. Jim

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 22:33:51 »
I had my first full weekend on the lotty for ages as I've been laid up with a poorly back..  My chiro thought it was getting worse and told me to go back to my GP but fingers crossed it's much better.  I managed to move my manure pile at last.  I just did 10 minutes at a time.  I'm using no dig for my spuds and have got a lot of the plot under sheet mulch as I'm not digging.  I daren't as I don't want a relapse.  It was good to be back on the plot and the sun even put in an appearance.  Happy days  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 10:48:47 »
Some sound advice above - here's my two hap'orth, for what it's worth.  I have had plenty of back problems in the past, so thought that an allotment would be a definite no-no.  On the contrary, my back is better than ever, although that may be in part due to the fact that I have lost three stone since taking on my allotment (in turn, this was partly due to the extra exercise).

My rules:

1.  Take it easy.  These days, I do an hour's work at a time, previously I did it in twenty minute chunks, gradually increasing the time as I went along.  I set the alarm on my mobile and work religiously to that.

2.  Mix it up.  Do some digging, then some weeding, then some hoeing etc.  There are always plenty of things to do.  Even within my one hour stints I try to break it up a bit, though I find that I can do an hour's digging if I get into it and it needs doing.  But ideally, I'll dig a bit, then find something else to do.  And when there are plenty of people around, you'll end up chatting - that's useful as well!

3.  Stretch before,  during and after.  When I take a break, I have a stretch.  And a little wander, and sometimes a lie down (as long as it isn't too wet!!!!)

4.  Take it easy (again) - you're not trying to break any records!  Who cares if it takes you twice as long as the guy on the next plot to dig half as much?

5.  Take a long hot Radox bath as soon as possible after getting home.  With a large Bloody Mary.

6.  Listen to your body.  If it hurts, it's saying "STOP!"

7.  Exercises.  Preferably Pilates (get a decent book) but simple exercises and stretches to strengthen the back will help.
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 13:15:16 »
I agree, im 6ft and my long handled spade makes all the difference, can lift immense clods with no back pain
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 16:34:11 »
My chiro gave me some little exercises to do while on the plot which I can do while leaning against my shed and one I can do on the spot just to help me loosen up a bit.  I have felt my back muscles tightening but have walked round a bit and it's gone off.  I haven't done anything today or yesterday but still feel ok despite doing quite a bit over the weekend.  I had my first long soak in the bath as I was told not to have a bath and only a short shower whilst my back was really bad, so I really enjoyed it .  I took two bottles of lager and a seed catalogue in with me.   ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 22:36:53 »
Oh dear I did find that funny - two bottles of lager and a seed catalogue...   ;D ;D

I found that one of the most fun and useful things to sort out the duff muscles was a gym ball. Tenner from Argos (and 15 minutes of hard pumping to blow up with an adapter which melts if you're not careful) but you can leave it up for weeks. Then sit on it and balance. You'll work out your back and bum muscles while trying to stay dead still, without making any large movements. I was also given a load of Pilates exercises. If I can find the sheets the physio drew for me I can scan them and post them - I suspect several folk around here might find them useful!

(Though if you've one of those inflatable guest mattresses which come with a pump and multi-adapter they blow up and deflate gym balls in seconds which is great)

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 22:46:19 »
My OH has got one of those balls (erk) to do back exercises on.  It's never been inflated as far as I know.  It's still in the shed.  I'll get it out and have a go with it.  My old man probably daren't sit on it as with his weight it would probably explode  ;D     No, he's not that bad.  Getting the lotty is going to get us both thinner and fitter hopefully, bad backs permitting  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 22:47:02 »
Was at my cranial Chiro today for my 45 min monthly top up  (£30!!! :o :o) I reckon it is worth the money as she sorts me out for yet another month! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 22:56:58 »
I'm going back to the chiro on Friday morning so fingers crossed (I'm always saying that).  I should be back at upholstery class on Friday too.  I might go after the chiro session depending on how it turns out.  I don't feel like grappling with my chaise longue though as that's probably what got me into this mess in the first place  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 22:59:00 »
I've been paying £26 a week  :o

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 06:45:08 »
Wivvles has some good advice. I've had a bad back for about 20 years ( too much weightlifting and other sporting when young followed by years of too much driving ) to the point where I wouldn't even dig my own garden and paid others. Since taking over my allotments ( 1800 sq yds ) I've been forced into activity. Due to being sensible about it, my back has never been better. The right amount of exercise, done the right way, is beneficial for bad backs.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 13:46:28 »
Good to hear that DJBR  :)  Good advice Wivvles and I agree with you totally.  My  OH and I both need to lose weight.  He used to be a right skinny ribs!  Our allotment is huge so lots to do and if I keep my back right I can get on and do it instead of lying on the sitting room floor  ;D  The thought of all the lovely fruit and veg keeps me going.  I hope my no dig spuds are a success though as I don't want to get the spade out unless I'm forced. ;D

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 14:03:49 »
It seems that some of us will develop a bad back or the odd twinge now and again, often as a result of the enthusiasm we have for our gardening/allotment. I too have had problems, painfull hip for days through turning over the compost in one go, painfull pack through lifting bags of mulch incorrectly.  Although I seem to have made a recovery, I have learnt to do little and often and as mentioned above have regular breaks and learn to stop when my body says so.  This is the time when I sit down on my allotment with a nice cup of coffee and picture how full and lush my site will be and remind myself that there will be nothing if I do myself any damage.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

bear

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 22:48:49 »
That's very true Lily. Doing too much all at once can mess up your next few allotment days. I tend to think " I'll just do another half an hour" and two hours later I find I can't stand up straight and I'm too tired to do anything for the next few days. I'm starting to learn to spend some time sitting and thinking and appreciating rather than trying to do it all at once.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 06:57:05 »
One of the hard lessons I have 'had' to learn is to pace myself...not easy as its not my nature.

A few years ago I had a hip replacement (right) and the following year a replacement left knee. Everything was fine until about seven months ago.

Knee started playing up and this has put strain on other hip (left)...I am waiting to see Consultant about a new hip before the knee can be dealt with.

I am struggling a bit with the lottie but I will not give up.

A good nights sleep wouldn't go amiss I forget what one feels like.

Derek

Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal