Author Topic: Pond  (Read 2188 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Pond
« on: April 03, 2005, 21:12:39 »
I am planning on putting a small pond on my lottie to raise an army of froglets to tackle beasties in my absence.  The question is how small is small (including how deep when I want some shallow bits for the birds as well, and maybe a small area of bog).  I have half of a large plot and do not want to give over too much space to the pond but do want to raise my army.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

Re: Pond
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 20:46:00 »
I have the world's smallest pond.  It's only about 70cm by 40cm and about 60cm deep!! I have a miniature waterlilly in it and sloping sides with the odd rock around. In it I have large "wrestling" frogs (my kids think frogs wrestle!) newts and lawd knows what else! But don't add fish as they'll eat everything in sight! If you get algae, put some barley straw in old stocking and submerge.  Try and make sure in shade for some of day.  But the bigger the pond, the more frogs etc you'll get. Good luck ;D Lottie

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 21:28:42 »
Thanks - I have just spent all night planning my pond.  It is going to be about 3.5m x 2.5m and about 60cm deep (seems to be the recommended to prevent freezing.  Rest assured - have no intention of introducing fish.  My pond is going to be nature's frenzy  ;)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 21:38:23 »
You made my evening! Went from being a newbie to junior member after answering your question!! Hated being called a newbie, took me right back to first days at school, not pleasant...... Have fun  Lottie ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 23:30:54 »
I want a pond or watering hole on my plot to attract frogs etc.  I have an old black plastic water tank which I thought of using.  I've been using it for collecting broken glass in but once I've emptied it I thought I could dig a hole and put it in but not completely level with the soil.  For safety I thought I'd have it proud of the soil and mound some stones up around it and in it.  It's only the same as having a preformed liner.  It will need a deepish hole though.  I'll have to get my Jack Russell to help me - he's good at digging  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 21:16:57 »
As long as it holds water, and is at least about 65cm deep, anything can be a pond. Have fun Lottie  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal