Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Weed killers containing Glyphosate

<< < (2/11) > >>

picman:
Plot 18 , I am willing to accept its not clear cut these things never are, it took decades to ban DDT ...   but even the smallest doubt as the the safety of Glyphosate for me negates its use on a public space , and the fact the Netherlands has banned it speaks volumes....

squeezyjohn:
I recently had a very long and angry argument about this exact thing.  My point of view is that if there is even the slightest doubt that using a chemical might have awful and far reaching consequences for our health or the environment then it has to be regulated against while the evidence comes in.  Glyphosate is being used in some pretty obscene ways - the farmer behind my allotment used it a year ago to kill and ripen a whole field of wheat - this is turned in to flour and sold in the shops - and we have no way of knowing if it is in our food supply.

As for us home-gardeners and allotment holders, we don't NEED weedkillers at all ... we can cover, weed, hoe or just live with and manage the weeds manually.  Sure - it's more convenient to use it - but if it turns out to have far reaching consequences then that's not something I could live with.  I've stopped using glyphosate and on the rare occasion I feel tempted to use weedkiller, I have a supply of the stupidly banned safer simple chemical Ammonium Sulphamate which works better anyway.

picman:
If it is safe for humans... Why does the council work man who sprays our pavements with glyphosate wear a full protective suite and face mask.... 

hippydave:

--- Quote from: picman on November 23, 2017, 13:25:15 ---If it is safe for humans... Why does the council work man who sprays our pavements with glyphosate wear a full protective suite and face mask.... 

--- End quote ---

When spraying the person doing the spraying is exposed for very long periods and the council has to legally protect them from over exposure to the chemicals so they go above and beyond with the PPE. Glyphosate is used as a desiccant on crops before harvest to bring down the moisture content and we have been eating it for years. I dont agree with it being used in this way and getting in the food system

Plot 18:

--- Quote from: lezelle on November 23, 2017, 10:02:36 --- You do your thing on your plot I will do mine and providing neither hurts the other then hey ho, nuffsaid

--- End quote ---
I agree, is the only way forward.

I very rarely use it - but reserve my right to use it on my own plot, should I choose to.
I don't take kindly to people telling me what to do,  and it seems like Big Brother control, to me - unless there is scientific agreement on the need to ban it, of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version