Author Topic: Great potato harvest  (Read 2310 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Great potato harvest
« on: October 01, 2017, 16:38:44 »
I planted 20 Sarpo Mira way back in the season and earthed them up well with a load of rotted manure/leaf mold.  They grew into monsters and if they had stood up the plants would have been 6 foot high - they soft of collapsed under their own weight though.

I took them all out this weekend and I have about 150-160 lbs of spuds.  Even better is that the majority are a good size and there is hardly any damage - a bit of scab but that is about it.  Together with the 40-50lbs of PFA I am in for a carb fest this winter!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:12:21 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Great potato harvest
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 19:23:30 »
get in there well done :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 20:16:37 »
I had a good very large crop of Sarpo Mira but mine had a very large number of slugs etc. inside. :BangHead:

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 20:38:16 »
I took on a new plot this year which had not been used for a few years, cleared it and put 20 Sarpo Mira in.   I dug either 11 or 12 roots this week and had 90lb.   Most of them have scab but the haulms were the biggest I have ever seen.   The only fertiliser I have used is Marshall's Organic Extra.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 12:34:43 »
Impressed you got the PFA BarriedaleNick... I lost them so regularly to blight I don't try anymore. Good crop of my others though.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 07:59:07 »
Impressed you got the PFA BarriedaleNick... I lost them so regularly to blight I don't try anymore.

We were lucky with blight this year and had very little on the spuds and what we had was late.  Such a lovely spud.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:06:40 »
That is a great harvest. I usually find PFA and Anya do well even in blight years.
Strange !

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 18:00:10 »
My nephew gave me some Sarpo Mira to try, he has great success with them in Lancashire. Mine were riddled with slugs to the extent that they were barely useable. They were an interesting cook, very dense, but I won't grow them again. PFA do wonderfully for me, isn't it all so unpredictable....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal