Author Topic: Question on recognized varieties for showing  (Read 4793 times)

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
Question on recognized varieties for showing
« on: September 03, 2017, 16:58:55 »
I'm new all of to this allotment business and a question sprang to my mind today during planning for next year.  I'm interested in growing veg that are are maybe not especially "run of the mill"- for example the "Beginner Gardener" selection from The Real Seed Company http://www.realseeds.co.uk/giftcollections.html rather than "F1" this or "Exhibition Variety" that.  I like the idea of food supply diversity and the ethos of this company in particular.

Although I intend to grow veg to feed the family rather than win prizes, an interesting offshoot (excuse the pun) would be to enter some of my produce (if worthy) to a vegetable show.  If the varieties are not "recognised", is this a problem?  Or, is it all simply about the quality of the final veg?

Thanks,

Dr John

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Question on recognized varieties for showing
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 17:30:27 »
I'm new all of to this allotment business and a question sprang to my mind today during planning for next year.  I'm interested in growing veg that are are maybe not especially "run of the mill"- for example the "Beginner Gardener" selection from The Real Seed Company http://www.realseeds.co.uk/giftcollections.html rather than "F1" this or "Exhibition Variety" that.  I like the idea of food supply diversity and the ethos of this company in particular.

Although I intend to grow veg to feed the family rather than win prizes, an interesting offshoot (excuse the pun) would be to enter some of my produce (if worthy) to a vegetable show.  If the varieties are not "recognised", is this a problem?  Or, is it all simply about the quality of the final veg?

Thanks,

Dr John
can only speak for our allotment show where its the quality of the veg on offer however saying that there are varieties of veg that win more than their fair share many of which taste fantastic others not so hope this helps one thing i will say about this showing thing is a thing tg told me a few years ago if you want to show say runners beans for instance you are best to grow a lot of them you may get 1 perfect bean in 10 plants and if you need five the rest speaks for itself hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 17:39:13 »
Or, is it all simply about the quality of the final veg?

Basically YES!

Having said that in my hey day I firstly grew for the table and if it was good enough for a show I entered it, then I went on from there!

Then there are the type of shows and this is not meant to demeaning but there are the "Village Shows" and the "National Shows" and these are often like chalk and cheese.

The judging standards between the two  are much different simply because at the National shows there is a book of rules whereas at  the Village Show these usually only  have some basic rules (or should have)  which are generally not as stringent.

What is common to both is the " Will to Win"

I could go on and say more but my tea is ready (lots of vegetables)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 17:41:23 by Tee Gee »

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 19:44:54 »
Or, is it all simply about the quality of the final veg?

Basically YES!

Having said that in my hey day I firstly grew for the table and if it was good enough for a show I entered it, then I went on from there!

Then there are the type of shows and this is not meant to demeaning but there are the "Village Shows" and the "National Shows" and these are often like chalk and cheese.

The judging standards between the two  are much different simply because at the National shows there is a book of rules whereas at  the Village Show these usually only  have some basic rules (or should have)  which are generally not as stringent.

What is common to both is the " Will to Win"

I could go on and say more but my tea is ready (lots of vegetables)

Thanks again.  Food first- I will maybe try a show one day.  When I finally get a plot that is...

Dr. John

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 15:42:55 »
While I have no show experience whatever, I am a devotee of the aforementioned seed supplier and can assure you that they deliver exceptional seeds, which are very reliable. I have no problems in solitary sowing in 60 hole modules and can report almost a "full house" on most occasions. The varieties I select meet my needs, are prolific and tasty. Whether you choose a "gift pack" would obviously be your decision ,my query would revolve around whether the inflexibility will get you your preference, of course this may be adjusted in subsequent years.My experience of the selection is restricted to the beetroot, Junos pea ,carrot and chard. all were entirely satisfactory.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 16:27:12 »
While I have no show experience whatever, I am a devotee of the aforementioned seed supplier and can assure you that they deliver exceptional seeds, which are very reliable. I have no problems in solitary sowing in 60 hole modules and can report almost a "full house" on most occasions. The varieties I select meet my needs, are prolific and tasty. Whether you choose a "gift pack" would obviously be your decision ,my query would revolve around whether the inflexibility will get you your preference, of course this may be adjusted in subsequent years.My experience of the selection is restricted to the beetroot, Junos pea ,carrot and chard. all were entirely satisfactory.

Great- thanks for the feedback.  I was using what they have for a selection as a starting point as I am still drawing up plans.  I'm thinking of tweaking the selection - e.g. perpetual spinach vs. chard for example and have already added a few others...  plans are still fluid between now and when I order the seed early next year.  Also- one other key consideration (not to be overlooked).  I still don't have my plot  :toothy10: so am working to a "virtual layout/design".

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 17:38:59 »
" I still don't have my plot  , so am working to a "virtual layout/design".

If you are awaiting a council plot, I have shared your feelings. So much so, in the N E Hants area, that one is literally awaiting" dead mens shoes"!.I have have been fortunate in 'borrowing' land ,3 successive plots around the home area, on agricultural land, and within a large walled garden, since 2009. These have been on a "share cropper" basis, the owner 'licenced' to help themselves.(which fortunately ,they rarely do!). The first plot-three years then sold, second, 2 years then sadly deceased, and now entering the third year on a third plot. Makes crop rotation notional but do it anyway.
In each case, needed to fence against resident livestock/ deer, so some capital investment.
However, local manure supply and water on site comes for the asking. Where there's a will ,there's a way.Good Luck, rule nothing out.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 19:00:51 »
" I still don't have my plot  , so am working to a "virtual layout/design".

If you are awaiting a council plot, I have shared your feelings.

Wow- I am number 4 on the list of a site of 26 plots with apparently difficult growing conditions, so I hope I'm not too far off....

Dr. John

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 20:09:34 »
Depending on the "difficulty", widen your options. Needn't make a hard task difficult, to start with!
Particularly if growing for show purposes. You will find all knowledge here, opinions readily given: and after that ,you pick the one you like!!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:24:17 »
I have shown flowers and veg since 1960 but aim at growing good veg and show the best. Some varieties will produce good specimens whilst others will never give a good shape etc. Saving your own seed is a good idea provided you can avoid cross-pollination. If you care to look at my blog spot you may find some help. I did win 15 trophies one year so I do have some experience. I look to help anyone as there is a lot of fun to be  had.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 16:35:05 »
I have shown flowers and veg since 1960 but aim at growing good veg and show the best. Some varieties will produce good specimens whilst others will never give a good shape etc. Saving your own seed is a good idea provided you can avoid cross-pollination. If you care to look at my blog spot you may find some help. I did win 15 trophies one year so I do have some experience. I look to help anyone as there is a lot of fun to be  had.

Thanks- I look forward to it- but the main thing I think first off is to get some skills built up...and a good soil to grow in.  As ancellsfarmer says- there is wealth of experience here! 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 21:16:16 »
As a rule of thumb in exhibiting produce 'size' is not always considered as the most important attribute, unless it is a " biggest veg" class.

What the judge is looking for is that  each flower or veg in the exhibit is of high quality,and each item is uniform in colour shape and size, if they are big into the bargain, then that can be a bonus.

So growing F1 hybrids goes a long way to success as many of these have been bred to mature at the same time and are usually uniform in colour and size so then it is up to the grower to get the quality.

So let me wish you the best of luck with your venture.

Regarding varieties this is a difficult one to answer simply because some varieties will grow in one area but not so well in an other.

So perhaps as as an exercise you could put up a list of what you plan on growing then we can all have a go at saying ( without guarantees) which varieties we think will give you the quality you are after.

How does that sound?

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 07:35:50 »
Here you go- remember the first aim is to feed the family rather than win any prizes in the village show....

Onion   Sturon
Garlic   Solent Wight
Lettuce   Morton's Secret Mix
Carrot   Giant Red
Beetroot   Sanguina
Squash   Burgess Vine Buttercup
Tomato   Stupice
Bush Bean   Cupidon
Pea   Oskar
Broad Bean   Liesde Hangdown
Spinach   Perpetual
Runner Beans   Gigantes
Red Cabbage   Lodero F1
Cauliflower   Clapton F1

However, I would be interested in your thoughts.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:40 »
Here you go- remember the first aim is to feed the family rather than win any prizes in the village show....

Onion   Sturon
Garlic   Solent Wight
Carrot   Giant Red
Beetroot   Sanguina
Tomato   Stupice
Bush Bean   Cupidon
Pea   Oskar
Spinach   Perpetual
Runner Beans   Gigantes
Red Cabbage   Lodero F1
Cauliflower   Clapton F1

OK, yes but:
You may prefer a different runner bean, Gigantes, which I am growing this year for the first time, is aimed at growing "butter" beans for use as a bean seed in soups, stews etc. Its very vigorous, coarse regarding pods and not the "slicing green bean" you may expect.Mine have gone up 7feet, across 4feet and are now heading towards Farnham!!
As TeeGee has mentioned regarding F1 varieties, they will mature as a crop, sequential sowings may help, although mainseason often catch up with earlies.... The same pattern for lettuce.
Regarding the rest, I have grown most of them at one time or another and they are good.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 09:12:24 »
'Gigantes' on the way over the fence, cucumber on left of picture

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:43 »

Onion   Sturon
Garlic   Solent Wight
Carrot   Giant Red
Beetroot   Sanguina
Tomato   Stupice
Bush Bean   Cupidon
Pea   Oskar
Spinach   Perpetual
Runner Beans   Gigantes
Red Cabbage   Lodero F1
Cauliflower   Clapton F1

OK, yes but:
You may prefer a different runner bean, Gigantes, which I am growing this year for the first time, is aimed at growing "butter" beans for use as a bean seed in soups, stews etc. Its very vigorous, coarse regarding pods and not the "slicing green bean" you may expect.Mine have gone up 7feet, across 4feet and are now heading towards Farnham!!
As TeeGee has mentioned regarding F1 varieties, they will mature as a crop, sequential sowings may help, although mainseason often catch up with earlies.... The same pattern for lettuce.
Regarding the rest, I have grown most of them at one time or another and they are good.

Thanks for the info- I was going to grow Gigantes for dried beans.  I believe they are good for this, but will definitely bear in mind the size of the plants!  How many seeds did you put in?

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 10:35:14 »

I just looked at your blog and it is very informative.  Thanks!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 14:02:09 »

Onion   Sturon
Garlic   Solent Wight
Carrot   Giant Red
Beetroot   Sanguina
Tomato   Stupice
Bush Bean   Cupidon
Pea   Oskar
Spinach   Perpetual
Runner Beans   Gigantes
Red Cabbage   Lodero F1
Cauliflower   Clapton F1

OK, yes but:

Thanks for the info- I was going to grow Gigantes for dried beans.  I believe they are good for this, but will definitely bear in mind the size of the plants!  How many seeds did you put in?

The packet- about 20 @2 per stick
The far side of the row in picture is of Trail of tears. Be interesting to see if they have cross pollinated?
Picture does not show many beanpods but they are in there somewhere!! Harvesting in 4-6 weeks subject to climate

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 16:44:12 »
I have only ever grown three of these so I won't be of much use to you

Onion   Sturon.....I discussed my preference the other day see: https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,81379.0.html

Garlic   Solent Wight...As good as any for eating but have never ever exhibited any.

Lettuce   Morton's Secret Mix.... never heard of it personally I would just go for Kings Mixed leaves and get ten different varieties.

Carrot   Giant Red...Sweet Candle is a good eater and certainly a good one for the show bench.

Beetroot   Sanguina
  I would probably go for Red Ace!

Squash   Burgess Vine Buttercup....I would probably go for Hunter!

Tomato   Stupice.....I would probably go for Stonors Exhibition!although in my day it was Shirley and it is still a good un for the table and the bench.

Bush Bean   Cupidon...No nothing about them.

Pea   Oskar....I still say Hurst's Greenshaft is as good as any....very prolific and good pea count.

Broad Bean   Liesde Hangdown......I tend to grow Bunyard's Exhibition!

Spinach   Perpetual
...Don't grow it ....Can't say I have ever seen it on the showbench.

Runner Beans   Gigantes....Don't grow these anymore but when I did I grew Enorma

Red Cabbage   Lodero F1
....I have grown Red Drumhead this year and they are performing well so a good one for the table.

For the showbench I used to get selected seed from a friend and they were reliable for size and usually passed the test when cut!

Cauliflower   Clapton F1  I can see why you have gone for this one (club root resistance) but my favourite is Candid Charm simply with the right timing I can get a couple of crops each year. It wasn't around in my show days but grown right I think I would try it on the bench. Apparently Atalaya is the new kid on the block.

I am going to Harrogate Show next Friday so will try to look out for the varieties the National Champions are exhibiting these days.

So there you have it...'my choice' but choose whatever you end up with .......getting them ready on the day is the difficult bit.

When I exhibited Dahlias I had an expression I often use and that was " I have too many Wednesday Flowers"

What this meant was; the show is Saturday/Sunday but my flowers are ready the Wednesday before or the Wednesday after the show so they  were usually  no  good for the show I wanted them for.

However! There are ways of pushing them on and holding them back but that's another story!

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 17:21:29 »
TeeGee- thanks for the feedback.  Lots of info- also good news is that my mum has given me a propagator she found at the back of her shed.   I hope it works.  I wonder what else there is in there? 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal