Author Topic: "Munty Frames" for runner beans  (Read 3246 times)

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
"Munty Frames" for runner beans
« on: September 01, 2017, 19:23:33 »
A few years back "Munty Frames" seemed to be all the rage- but less chat about them nowadays...

Any reason why?  Maybe they were improved upon, or is it something else?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: "Munty Frames" for runner beans
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 20:12:12 »
My frame is made out of the swing my kids had when they were little, I just extended the cross bar as you can see here

Considering my kids are well into their forties  it means I have been using this frame for well over thirty years.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 20:54:28 »
For the past few years I use what is known as the x frame. It's my favourite bean frame construction.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 22:00:27 »
Never heard of a Munty Frame before, but looking up pictures it does seem like a good method. Used to use a bamboo cane frame tied at the top like Tee Gee's but last couple of years we've switched to the X design which I much prefer. I think it gives the bean plants more light at the top than the A shape, and it's a lot easier to tie together.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:33:58 »
I tend to use the A but find tieing difficult so might try an X.  Every year one whole row gets blown over somewhere on site, so I tend to use wigwams because if one goes then hopefully the rest will survive.
The munty system is a lot of work and materials to construct. 

Do you  move your frame TG or is it in the same place every year?  My MIL grew beans in the same spot for more than 50 years.  Grew mine on the spot as last year and they have done very well. 

Are you really giving up your plot TG if you are do not forget to take a little of your bean soil.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 15:56:17 »
Do you  move your frame TG or is it in the same place every year?  My MIL grew beans in the same spot for more than 50 years.  Grew mine on the spot as last year and they have done very well.

It is placed in a different spot every year to fit in with my rotation system.

Everything folds up after use so no hassle with storing.

However I must admit I haven't grown Runner Beans on my frame for two or three years now I tend to use it only for my Sweet Peas.

Are you really giving up your plot TG.

I am giving up one of my plots as my age is catching up with me now!

For example next year I will have no need for the number 7 

I have been trialing different growing patterns and quantities for the last couple of seasons and now think I can manage with one plot providing I make more use of " Catch & Follow on cropping"

if you are do not forget to take a little of your bean soil

????? Why?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 19:41:26 »
So you take the bacteria with you so the beans get good nodules.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 21:59:38 »
Yes ! I have always thought that the Munty frame was a great idea..but when it comes to it , I cant manage to get it put up on my own , ,husband seems never to be around to help when I need him . So I always end up struggling to get up my traditional A frame ....but I am VERY determined ! One day I would really like to give the Munty a go ....it makes a lot of sense , to have all the beans hanging down for  visibility and easy picking    :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 02:28:58 »
Mine is a variation on the A frame - 6' canes on the north side of the raised bed which are straight up, and 8' canes on the south side which slant back and are tied in to the shorter ones.

I grow peas on the north side and climbing beans on the south.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 15:18:07 »
I've got a Munty frame which we've used for the past 3-4 years. Its quite solidly built by my OH but we have moved it around and attached it to our raised beds. I really like it - certainly stands up to the wind better than tying poles or even using metal arches. Some beans still want to hide in the upright bit but less than before!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 08:04:57 »
I have used cheap obelisks for three years, previously growing squashes up them. Now they are showing their cheapness but are still useable, I keep three held together with horizontal long canes and string. They are not too tall for me and I grow my very healthy beans only on one side, they are easy to pick and I have a wind net on the other side. So far so good, I still have to remove four bean plants but I am hopeful that the structure will do for at least a couple more years. These three obelisks support 6 beans plants and that is ample for me, I have picked and prepared enough to last the whole year, until next season and I am still picking. I will roll the weed fabric back and layer lots of my good hotbin compost on top, re-cover and that will be that until I plant again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal