Author Topic: Carolina Reapers  (Read 2132 times)

delboy

• Acre
Carolina Reapers
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:22:27 »
Bought 12 plants on Ebay.
Plants doing well but resemble cayenne type rather than Carolina Reapers.
Well and truly swizzled.
Could someone point me towards an honest supplier of seeds or even plugs?
Many thanks
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Carolina Reapers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 13:06:34 »
I grew some a couple of years back and they are nothing like cayenne in looks or effect!

Try https://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/product_info.php/chilli-seeds-carolina-reaper-seeds-veg581-p-6252

Very reliable supplier and decent prices.

They are fun to grow but they are seriously hot.  Even licking one that was cut in half was too much for my test group at a party we held!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 16:25:09 »
yes indeed thats a good supplier got mine from there this year along with habanero orange  scotch bonnet red this year the scotch bonnet have really done well must  have around a 100 from a couple of plants  and they are really a good size a good 2" across none gone red yet however   some show signs of colour change
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 12:12:02 »
Our local Wyevale is selling off its chilli plants cheap ... the ones labeled as Scotch Bonnet have already fruited in the pots and are clearly making a chilli that ISN'T a scotch bonnet!  So it's not only eBay people you need to be wary of.

In my opinion the only safe way to get the chilli type you want is to grow the seed from a very trusted source.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 13:52:57 »
here are some of mine naga / ghost chilli /cally reaper  if all the pics will go on one post

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 13:54:42 »
and another couple

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 18:56:56 »
Thanks one and all.

Nicky's Nursery is looking fave for the seeds. I'll plant them in December.

My Nagas and Trinidad Scorpions overwintered well, so I'll be able to make a decent hot mango chutney.

The Reapers were going to be for a Nepalese friend who always decries chillies grown in the UK. When they do arrive I''ll put them out for him to suffer!

What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 07:30:52 »
That explains it 😃
 I do wonder why people grow these really hot chillies.
Hope your friend appreciate the effort you have gone to. :sunny:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:06:56 »
That explains it 😃
 I do wonder why people grow these really hot chillies.
Hope your friend appreciate the effort you have gone to. :sunny:

People need a challenge - I'm sure there is a Guinness world record for banging your head on the wall :BangHead: - but I prefer the challenge of growing "seasoning peppers" that all have unique flavours and can't be bought for love or money.

With veg and fruit I'm not interested in anything except flavour - the one dimension of growing that shows completely ignore (unless it's cooked to bu :angry4: :angry4: ery as jam or chutney - weirdly).

My chilli sauce is a taste explosion, not a pain explosion (Tobago seasoning has a moderate heat anyway). Then following the West Indian tradition I can add the hot stuff to a stew if necessary.

On the other hand if I really want pain I can buy a kilo of 500K scoville fruits for a few quid and put 10 or 20? into a stew for a few pence.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 07:53:00 »
My chilli sauce is a taste explosion, not a pain explosion

Care to post a recipe or a general approach to your sauces.  I too take pride in my chili sauce and pickles and have just done a really nice smokey Mexican style sauce.  I often do a fruity or a sour one but always on the look out for new ideas..

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 12:37:19 »
Sadly, unless you can visit the West Indies (or have friends that live there), you will have to grow your own seasoning chillies - but they are all very late - possibly even later than their habanero relatives.

I use this advanced search occasionally: "seasoning chillies" -"seasoning," -"seasoning)" No Results every time. Using the shopping option just ignores the quotes completely.

Trinidad Perfume have arguably the best flavour like a habanero plus apricot with no heat but they are very late.

Tobago Seasoning is the best compromise I've found - the flavour is good & it's no too late - timing and heat is somewhere near jalapeno or a bit later.

Any of the standard recipes can be used - but increase the amount of chillies by 5 or 10... (if you're not using Trinidad S then add a few hot ones to taste).

On the other hand, your question has triggered a thought - I might buy some scotch bonnets and cook them gently whole with the other ingredients - removing them carefully before blending. A lot easier and cheaper - especially as it looks like I'm heading for another crop failure with this weather...

Cheers.

PS. The other flavour chilli I grow is rocota/locota/manzano - especially for the unripe green ones that have less heat, and the heat they have is more like putting in a load of black pepper. Used instead of green sweet peppers they can transform any recipe into something special - bolognese, ratatouille, lasagna, courgettes&bacon (the current glut-buster) etc. etc. They are early and productive IF you sow now (at the latest)  and overwinter on a windowsill.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:39:24 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 13:44:45 »
Cheers! That's a couple more varieties to add to the list for next year.

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 11:50:31 »
If you're interested in the lesser known "seasoning chillies" then semillas.de have quite a few - I haven't tried them all yet but none have been as early as Tobago S so far. They also have a wide range of locoto/manzanos, including one or two "mild" ones - though they seem to be even later - the delay might just be from "watching the pot" of course.

Not to mention the fact that the earliest normal chilli each year is different from all previous record-breakers - just weird. There is a trend that can be relied on between early, middle and late types, but the positions within bands are constantly shifting - there are so many variables...

I have tried Numex Suave Orange but got very little flavour - might just have needed a better year. One of the other yellow ones (without an island name) from a different supplier was similar with an unpleasant waxy texture - I'm still trying the other WI island ones as they come up.

Cheers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal