Author Topic: Shallots  (Read 1356 times)

Plot22

• Half Acre
Shallots
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:18:28 »
I have grown Longor Shallots from sets for a number of years with mixed results. The first couple of years were fine and I saved some of my grown ones for planting the following year. Last year the site was hit fir the first time with Allium Leaf Miner so the crop was a disaster. This year I bought from T & M and set under nets but the crop is very small and disappointing. I have also grown Shallot Figaro from seed setting 4 in a module and in late May ( after the threat of Allium Leaf Mine has gone ) transplanting the entire module in one go. The result has been fantastic the shallots are huge. My question is if I save some of the Figaro crop will they grow like sets do and split into 5 or 6 shallots as they grow next year ? I understand that Figaro is not really a true shallot but a cross between a shallot and a onion.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Shallots
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:45:44 »
It is a banana shallot, although why they don't call it a banana onion I don't know. Single bulb so no good sowing and hoping for a cluster. I expect the shallot title came from America and then being jumped upon by celebrity chefs (spit). It is the same as calling a spring onion a scallion, just another way to con diners into thinking they are getting something different.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:45:25 »
I grow jermor shallots, started 5 years ago and just re-plant in autumn year on year. They are big and easy to handle and always split

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 23:08:37 »
I've had a huge crop from some red shallots  can't remember the name.. will look next time I'm on the plot. Downside is we grow them for pickling and a good half are far too big!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal