Author Topic: Wind damage  (Read 2379 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Wind damage
« on: June 06, 2017, 22:19:06 »
I have a tall row of mangetout... about 7' and still going up, went out today to find the supports have blown over... thankfully the other wigwams have stopped the canes snapping or the peas falling on the ground so when the wind drops I'll try standing them up again...  :BangHead:

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Wind damage
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 22:34:47 »
Glad it was retrievable...incredibly windy....hard to believe the weather change
Jackie

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 23:32:40 »
I hope your mangetouts are OK, and any other peas and beans.   

It's been windy here and we have yet more branches blown down and snapped off in one particular ash tree.   Our new neighbours tell me we can get strong winds here so I'm planning to use Munty frames in the potager we're preparing in the hope that they will be sturdy and solid and make harvesting easier for peas and beans and cucumbers and anything else that climbs.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:44:31 »
it was like a tropical storm here yesterday off this morning to put right any damage i netted my huge cherry tree about 5mtr spread with debris netting that could have gone anywhere as well as the 3 greenhouses and heath robinson poly tunnel watch this space folks for in depth analysis and cutting edge pictures of the carnage that was the biggest storm to hit the east coast this summer or a bit of head scratching and thinking what the hell do i do now lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:16:27 »
Broad beans have been battered about, hopefully just laid over. Poly tunnel stood up to it's first force 10 but I did anchor it deep when I put it up last month plus the proper plastic for the cover. I expect the runner bean tips have been damaged, but that will only thicken them up

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 12:33:23 »
My overwintered spinach 'trees' are down, asparagus stems, and even potato haulms snapped off! And the entire plot covered in leaves and twigs from the fruit trees 30 yards away....sometimes I wonder why I carry on with this gardening thing.

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 17:11:25 »
I was going to plant out the squashes and the tomatoes yesterday, no chance in that wind.
They will have to wait until next week ,I know its getting late but they should catch up.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 18:36:26 »
well not much damage the greenhouses and homemade poly tunnel were fine  some of the wires on my espaliers were broken and some of my tomato plants had laid down but other than that all good others on the site were not so lucky so spent the day watering and harvesting and had a ton of rubbish at home to take to the tip all done so a good day all in all even the debris netting on the large cherry is still there

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 20:13:19 »
Good move Humbug... my squash aren't out yet... the wind would shred those large leaves that developed in the shelter of the greenhouse and frames... this weekend will have to do..

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 17:32:06 »
fig are all OK despite  the storm

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 21:29:39 »
I've not been down to the plot yet, it'll be Saturday before I do, not sure what to expect. Fingers crossed. And toes. And any other crossable body parts.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 21:46:32 »
Last night I dreamt that my sweetcorn and runner beans had been totally destroyed by the wind and I was in floods of tears.

Today I went and checked and they were all fine  :icon_cheers:
Located in Royston, North Herts.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 13:33:02 »
Went to theplot this morning to survey the damage and was pleasantly surprised. Apart from some slug damage to strawbs and beans, one tomato keeled over and the grass and weeds having shot up, reckon I got off lightly!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 19:39:58 »
Got them stood up again last night... and apart from pigeon damage while they were over they are looking good. Picked enough to freeze some as well as cooking and eating off the plant.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal