Author Topic: What would you plant here....3-4 hours sun a day...against a shed  (Read 1423 times)

Hector

• Hectare
We have cleared one side of shed which is facing  NNW 333 degrees. Husband thinks it gets 3-4 hours sun each morning. Bed width from path to shed wall is 45 inches....good loam.
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
there are loads of herbs that love half sun however id plant it with standard soft fruit bushes red /black currant gooseberries all do well in shade also you can under plant them with the herbs hope this helps lidl sometimes do standard  soft fruit or have a go yourself its very easy to make a standard bush and no bending when you harvest the pic is my standard gooseberry its so bountiful ive dug all the normal bushes up
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
I agree with johnny. Red currants , raspberry, a morello cherry fan trained against the shed. If it's an unloved spot some Jerusalem artichokes. Maybe a pear or apple?  Good luck with your new bed. X sunloving

ACE

• Hectare
Actinidia self fertile or one male, one female. Beautiful perfume from the flowers and a chance of fruit. Shade no problem and it will cover the shed wall if you bung a trellis up. Still room in front for a load of foxgloves to brighten things up.

Paulh

• Hectare
Ace, Ace.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Two words ... Caucasian Spinach ... it climbs, so can scramble up a shed, likes a shady spot and gives decent greens in the spring that can be used similarly to regualar spinach ... and it's perennial.

Hector

• Hectare
Thank you so uch everyone. Id had a look online and the definitions of shade/ semi shade and what likes it were often USA based, so good to have a " on the ground" UK perspective.

I have some Caucasion Spinachlants, so that would be handy. I was thinking to angle bean poles/ make a frame against shed.....so they get more of available light?

Ace, just planted an  Actinidia kolomocta elsewhere, so glad to hear how lovely it is.

Johnny, I am going to Lidl later...will have a look. i fancy standard  fruit and was thinking of training along fenceline.

Sunloving, just been been given some Autumn rasps....and have gooseberry bushes in big pots...Id asssumed they needed sun...so opened up options

Thanks all!
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal