Author Topic: Planting late this year  (Read 1385 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Planting late this year
« on: June 02, 2017, 21:16:29 »
I decided to keep the allotment for another year, but have got very behind with planting.  Looking forward to going to a local fair tomorrow which is in aid of autism. Last year they showed me round their greenhouse and I got some good cucumber plants.  Hopefully if I go early may get some plants.  Went to B&Q but not impressed and their plants are very expensive.  Can't have a year without courgettes. Well had four strawberries today, they seem to be growing well amongst the long grass.  Luckily didn't have to water as it poured earlier today. Gooseberries look good, not sure about my raspberries as I cut them all back.  It is only June, so maybe I will have a late crop of something.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Planting late this year
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:43:04 »
im sure you  will be fine however you have missed out on a great spring the grandkids were down for the week my grandson had a great time harvesting his tea
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 06:48:14 »
Its not too late to sow some courgettes.

Slugs ate all mine last year, so I had to start again. 

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:41:30 »
I was looking around a garden centre last week and thought I might pick up some bean plants as I hadn't planted mine.  I was amazed at the price of all their vegetable plants. They were £3.50 a pack of about 8 runner bean plants!  Lettuces were the same price.  I didn't buy anything but went home and put my runner and French beans on damp kitchen roll, labelled them,put them into containers and placed them in the airing cupboard.  On taking them out yesterday, most of them had sprouted so I potted them up.  The garden centre courgette, squash, tomato, pepper, chilli and cucumber plants were £1.50 each so I am pleased I grew my own plants from seed.

I agree with Digeroo, it is not too late to grow courgettes especially if you start them off as described above, as it will give you a head start.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 16:30:35 »
In my early days of gardening in the days when we got cold snowy winters and  frosty springs, my planting out time for the more tender subject, runners and Dahlias for example was the last week in May or first week in June.

In fact I planted out the last of my plants this week.

So you should be OK

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal