Author Topic: Quick rhubarb question  (Read 1231 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Quick rhubarb question
« on: April 01, 2017, 18:12:25 »
Finally got to my plot this afternoon and found my forced rhubarb was nearly pushing the dustbin off! Picked some lovely fruit but just wondered whether it's best to put the cover back on to encourage the smaller shoots, or leave it off (was a bit worried about breaking stems trying to get it back on. will I lose all the lovely pinkness if I leave it uncovered?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Quick rhubarb question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 19:03:26 »
depending how much you took if it was half the stems id leave it uncovered to let the plant recover leave it until next season    i dont force my rhubarb  as its early enough never force the same plant in consecutive years as it weakens the plant hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 20:31:46 »
I'd leave the bin off and just pick the younger shoots. Leave the more mature leaves to get the energy needed down into the roots.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 16:16:54 »
Yes you will loose the pink.  I think I might risk trying to put it back for another crop next week and then take of the covering.
If it will not fit under a dustbin try a compost bin instead.
I only force two plants each year and then leave them two years to recover.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 16:18:32 by Digeroo »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 17:12:35 »
Thanks for the replies. There are quite a lot of stems big enough to pick so i think i'll leave the bin off.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:56:07 »
I agree not to stress the plant too much by forcing too often. To counteract​ this I have six plants.
Mr PKL peals the rhubarb stems and another tip is to cut a good few inches from the leaves and discard. This  gives a mild soft rhubarb when using normally grown stems.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal