Author Topic: First chitted chillies into pots!  (Read 2556 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
First chitted chillies into pots!
« on: February 05, 2017, 17:44:59 »
Two weeks ago, going through my seed box, I found some very old Peppadew seeds from 2011 in the pepper seed envelope and decided to give them a try by chitting on damp tissue. Today I've planted 6 of them up - and have at least another half dozen to pass on to my gardening neighbour. All from about 25 seeds :icon_cheers:.

At the same time I tried chitting old Aji Fantasia, Gypsy and Corno di toro Rosso, none of which have, so far, germinated. I understand they can take up to three weeks, so there is still time.

So exciting to get the new season underway :blob7:.

Tricia :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: First chitted chillies into pots!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 19:31:05 »
ive been using a pkt of orange baby peppers for 7 years this will be the last year as ive run out of seeds they ran out of date 2011 i saved the seeds this year from said peppers  so i can keep them going  and i got the pkt free on a mag now thats value
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:34:11 »
Exciting, I was just sorting my seeds yesterday. I start my first few on valentines day to start the years love. Just ten days to go.
It's brill when old seeds spring into life! That's evolution for you.
Woo! X sunloving

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:41:07 »
Two weeks ago, going through my seed box, I found some very old Peppadew seeds from 2011 in the pepper seed envelope and decided to give them a try by chitting on damp tissue. Today I've planted 6 of them up - and have at least another half dozen to pass on to my gardening neighbour. All from about 25 seeds :icon_cheers:.

I found that my 2008 chilli seeds failed miserably in 2015 so I currently regard 2011 seeds as being the oldest that are worth even chitting. So 50% germination is definitely a win...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 16:19:57 »
I keep mine in the freezer. It solves that one nicely.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal