Author Topic: woops  (Read 2529 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
woops
« on: January 31, 2017, 22:17:52 »
I have gont to get my seeds from the unit there NORMALLY stored in only to find them missing.
Having looked in all the normal places for them i have realised there all still in the greenhouse and have probably been in there for the last 6 weeks or more.

Please tell me there ok - there on a shelf but greenhouse is still unheated so with the frosts etc i am worried in fact 2 scared to actually go out and get them back in :(

Has my poor memory distroyed my seeds

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: woops
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 08:12:06 »
It is often said  that the fridge is the best place for seeds , it's heat or mice  that does for them.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:40 »
I keep a lot of seeds in the freezer; it does them no harm at all.

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 14:03:50 »
What seeds in storage dislike is heat, moisture and fluctuating temperature. At this time of year they probably won't have come to much harm in the greenhouse.

Metanurb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 15:52:45 »
If you google Svalbard Global Seed Vault it should put your mind at rest regarding frost.

(It's a little known facility for storing seeds half way between Norway and the north pole).

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 19:22:24 »
The only problem you'll have is if the seeds have got damp ... seeds can be frozen with no ill effects if they are dehydrated, but damp seeds could be damaged if frozen ... and even if not frozen they could start to sprout!

I know that the weather has been particularly wet and cold here, but my greenhouse is probably the dryest place I have at this time of year and I don't imagine seeds kept in mine would be damaged ... I hope yours is similar.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 22:31:09 »
I'm always leaving packets in the greenhouses... apart from the ones the mice get at they rarely suffer...

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 00:03:56 »
Difficult to say.  Were they kept dry in a tin or in a sealed jar?  Packets left loose?  Paper packets or sealed foil packets?  Chances are that anything in an unopened foil packet is most likely ok.  In a loose paper packet that had been opened last year possibly not so much.  I would definitely try to germinate everything, but have your chequebook ready for replacements.  Good luck.  As others have said, it was a dry January, February is set to be much wetter, best to get them indoors fast.  :wave: 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 07:10:26 »
Are they dry?  I have a lot of seeds in the freezer. 

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:22 »
To check if they are viable, why don't you chit a few on kitchen paper first.  I do that with all my seeds anyway.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 12:20:31 »
Hi All,
Thanks feeling much better, dont want to bring them into the warm house as it might now shock the seeds so will leave where they are for now.

I will be hitting the greenhouse from 17th to get some seeds sewn so i will try a few on some wet towel and bring these into the house

thanks all xx

Cam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal