Author Topic: From above or below?  (Read 2943 times)

slowfood

• Not So New ...
From above or below?
« on: March 29, 2005, 10:19:11 »
Hi all,

I am without a garden this year as we are renovating a house, but growing some 'cut and come again' salad, Rocket, Spinach and a mixed salad leaf in trays on a windowsill. They have germinated nicely (exept the Spinach) now I would like to hear your opinions. Am I better off resting the trays in water or using a fime rose sprinkler from above when watering.

Thanks in advance.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: From above or below?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 10:51:53 »
I always water seedlings from below. You risk getting dampening off and other fungal diseases if you water from above.

And don't overwater. They don't use much water in the early stages. (I tend to not water mine until I prick them out)
gone to pot :D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 12:55:30 »
Always from below for the same reasons as Aqui.  Also the poor little seedlings get flattened if you water from above.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

slowfood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 15:39:48 »
Thanks both of you, that is what I have been doing, but I was unsure if there was a chance of waterlogging the new roots. Looking forward to fresh and tasty salad that's not out of a chemical laden bag or flown in from abroad.

Also, just in case, how can you see early signs of dampening off?

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 17:51:27 »
You won't see any warning signs, they just keel over & that's it I'm afraid. Your best bet is to use tap water for watering until they're past the seedling stage, rainbut water contains the spores that cause the disease

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal