Author Topic: Oddball fruit supplier sought...  (Read 5582 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Oddball fruit supplier sought...
« on: November 04, 2011, 19:24:24 »
Hi folks, does anyone know of a nursery that would be able to supply me  with plants (not seeds) of:
Honeyberry
Wineberry
Autumn Olive and
Chiliean Guava?

WOuld be happy with bare-roots at sensible prices....

chrisc

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Oddball fruit supplier sought...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:55:30 »
http://www.scotplantsdirect.co.uk/ have honeyberry and wineberry

http://www.korewildfruitnursery.co.uk/ have wineberry, autumn olive, and chilean guava.

I looked these up out of curiosity, but I fear that Kore Wild Fruit Nursery has so many fascinating plants that I won't be able to resist at least a couple.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:47:28 »
http://www.scotplantsdirect.co.uk/ have honeyberry and wineberry

http://www.korewildfruitnursery.co.uk/ have wineberry, autumn olive, and chilean guava.

I looked these up out of curiosity, but I fear that Kore Wild Fruit Nursery has so many fascinating plants that I won't be able to resist at least a couple.

I bought seeds of Autumn Olive years ago from the long gone 'Future Foods' company.  Actually managed to grow them (had to be stratified in the fridge for 3 months prior to germination).  When they were 5 years old they started fruiting.  Now they are very reliable and I get loads of fruit.  Delicious jelly and I also love eating them raw.  The last fruits are still hanging on at the moment.  Can thoroughly recommend AO, especially for a semi-wild area in the garden or for a permaculture planting.

I had not heard of KORE before.  What a find!  And their prices are reasonable too.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:11:29 »
Many thanks for the links (and the warnings) Kore have the honeysuckle too so I might well go to them for all of them..... Realised I'm also looking for a Szechuan pepper if I cna find one too....

chrisc

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 13:26:55 »
Czechuan pepper you should find from Agroforestry Reasearch Trust.. ;)
I've grown mine from seeds..and those are now 4" tall..long wait ahead  ::)..but the foliage smells gorgeous and can be used for cooking too.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 16:24:37 »
I think you will get all of those from Agroforestry Research. But you need to be prompt; they sell out of many things.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 17:26:47 »
Had a look at the Agroforestry site, very interesting, and reasonable prices mean I'm not surprised they've sold out.... I'm planning on turning about half of one of my plots into an oddball fruit/spice area, so I can see a couple of orders adn some reservations going in soon.... will need to dig and cover the bit I want to use soon....

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 17:29:55 »
Before you get too exited by the honey berry, Gardening Which gave it the thumbs down.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 22:49:51 »
I found these sites really fascinating. I can't believe there are so many food plants it's possible to grow, but which I've never heard of.

Chilean Guava sound very nice.

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 16:54:01 »
I really like Chilean Guava. The berries are ripe soon & taste of .... 'Christmas'

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 22:06:42 »
I'm interested now... Might look into that.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 12:48:19 »
Just potted on my autumn olive, having googled it I am excited at the thought of this health promoting fantastic fruit but a bit apprehensive over its capacity to spread. I tend to have reservations about planting on the allotment.
Any advice?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 15:49:56 »
Just potted on my autumn olive, having googled it I am excited at the thought of this health promoting fantastic fruit but a bit apprehensive over its capacity to spread. I tend to have reservations about planting on the allotment.
Any advice?
Mine are small trees rather than bushes or large bushes.  I would put them in a corner a bit out of the way.  :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 11:55:50 »
I have had 2 Lonicera caerulia 'honey berries' for years (I prefer the Japanese name Hascap).

The normal one is 2m x 1m now and only produces a dozen or so small berries a year - a variable 7x4mm max -  hardly worth netting for twice as many, but it can be grown from cuttings - though the types they sell now may be different - my neighbour's has reddish twigs but no results yet. Only good as an interesting nibble for a week or 2 at the allotment - a long, long way from justifying a place in a back garden.

The 'Kamchatka' one is a dwarf with at least triple the number of larger (mostly 8x5mm) sweeter berries and at 60 x 60cm is also much easier to net against birds (I've never had rodent problems but it must be asking for them). Unfortunately I've had no success with cuttings - however seedlings do well as long as they don't get scorched - I'm netting with shade mesh but hoping they won't need so much shade when they are fully grown - no fruit yet.

If you have a cold greenhouse I'd recommend the strawberry guava - especially the yellow one 'Lucida' - but if we get another winter like 2010/11 it would be best to plant in a pot so you can dig it up in an emergency (again cuttings are hopeless though layering can work).

I also refer you to my earlier post recommending Asimina Triloba - the custard banana - though a good (named) variety would be better regarded as a custard mango.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal