Author Topic: Potatoes  (Read 2783 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Potatoes
« on: August 22, 2016, 15:15:16 »
Ok  Folks Fellow Spud growers  Usually  plat Marfona Spuds   in April and then  start digging um from July on as new and till i run out worked fine till this year, Although big in size it seems like i had a good attack of slugs with them holes in most !! So my Question is   
         i HAVE LOOKED UP A FEW SLUG RESISTANT  TYPES FOR NEXT YEAR !
                        kESTREL    ESTLMA   EPICURE NADINE  AND MARIS PEER
                           Has any one grown these and what did you think  ?
                   or any tips to stop the slugs please ?????
i don't belive death is the end

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 17:13:18 »
Kestrel is definitely one to try, it is the mainstay of my potato crop. I leave it in the ground just digging a few roots when needed, some years well into November with very little slug damage.
I usually grow a couple of rows of Maris Peer each year,and lift them quite early for 'new potatoes'. This year I did notice more slug damage than usual on them especially the last few roots, so I wouldn't rate them as slug resistant.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 17:18:39 »
i grow nadine most years its a great spud lovely buttery taste a real winner in my book
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 17:52:50 »
Kestrel fare better in my soil.

i grow nadine most years its a great spud lovely buttery taste a real winner in my book

Could this be down to your very sandy soil?  perhaps because it is so well drained it is not to the slugs liking....just a thought!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 21:38:14 »
indeed tg i think soil condition has a major part to play in all crops one good thing about sandy soil is they always come out clean planted all my potatoes in pots this year yield  was good and its very easy to turn out a tub to harvest a bag of spuds  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 06:58:06 »
Here Kestral have been good, but Nadine wins hands down on flavour, lovely potato. Sorry don't remember making a note on slug damage or not with these.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 15:08:25 »
nadine and Kestral  looks like  the ones for me to try next year then ! THANK YOU FOLKS !!
i don't belive death is the end

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 20:44:24 »
Harvested the other day some of the purple/red skinned potatoes -these had less slug damage than the white/cream skinned potatoes. However, it could be just one of those years. This year, first earlies were not ready very early.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 22:15:48 »
Kestrel is definitely very slug resistant - I've grown it for several years and get only a few (really damaged) potatoes.

Setanta is sort of slug resistant. It has a very tough skin which puts the slugs off, but if you see a very little hole in it (a pin prick) there will be more slug damage inside than you would expect.

Charlotte do OK as first earlies too.

Other varieties I have grown I've thrown at least a third away because of slug damage.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal