Author Topic: Leek Failure  (Read 2184 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Leek Failure
« on: August 19, 2016, 11:34:12 »
About a month ago i planted out mu leek plants, mostly Musselbugh and a few Jolant. Some were homegrown (in a seed tray) but i also bought a pot from a garden centre. They werent very big and were a bit rootbound but otherwise fine. Planted in ground previously growing potatoes, in the traditional method. Have had problem with leek moth in the past so were covered with environmesh directly after planting.

Almost straight after planting we had that very hot few days in July, but i kept them well watered throughout. Unfortunately while weeds grew, the leeks didnt! When i uncovered them about 10 days ago to weed them, almost nothing was left, all had gone bar one solitary plant and a few withered remains (and lots of weeds).

Cant really work out what went wrong (this time). I cant beleive it was leek moth, the plants were covered and probably hadnt got big enough anyway. They were well watered following planting so i doubt they dried out, but may have had too much water (beds are free draining and can never get waterlogged though). I did have a problem with potatoes in this particular bed this year; they grew poorly due to a suspected cultivation pan which might have affected the leeks too?

The only other thing i can think of is white rot. I have had cases of onions and garlic rotting off at random which might be due to white rot. Its not everywhere in the garden so might not be true white rot. How can i tell? How does white rot affect leeks?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Leek Failure
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 13:11:07 »
Never had white rot on my leeks even though it has been endemic on our site for years.  I did have an issue early this year with slugs eating my onions which has never really happened before but that was when it was really wet.  Other than that I guess soil condition - do you manure/fertilise prior to plant the leeks?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 10:11:13 »
I wonder if you over watered them, when I plant leeks I trim the roofs and top get them as far down in the ground as possible, even if they disappear in hole. I then give them a carful drink trying not to fill the hole with soil but then I do not water for a long time if ever.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 11:04:12 »
To BarriedaleNick: No i dont add compost or manure before planting the leeks. They follow Potatoes which do get a dose of compost before planting, this is usualy worked in by the time the leeksa re planted. Dont think slugs are to blame, i found some remains when i investigated the bed, they were withered not eaten.

To LaurieUK. I Plant using the traditional method. holes made, plants put in ant the holes filled with water like you said, dont trim them though. Would have left it at that but then we had some hot dry days right after planting so they got watered some more so they didnt dry out. Reading your post, perhaps this has been the problem. The soil was still quite damp when they were planted. So probably over watering then?

Thanks.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 09:36:22 »
Hi there I plant my leeks into raised beds filled with a mix of clay soil & compost (in beds that have already had a crop harvested from them so the compost isn't too rich). I have watered mine every day since planting out except for a couple of days when we have had rain (we have had a very hot dry period recently in Kent & I don't let the leek beds completely dry out). They are all fine so I am unsure if over watering is the cause of your problem. I don't trim the roots or the tops when I plant out & not many of mine had reached the 'magic pencil size' before planting out. I have netted them to protect them from birds until they get stronger.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 20:47:17 »
Our leeks are looking good this year, planted in holes (does a pogo-stick work?). However, the onions from set this year have been not very good, some white rot and some just didn't feel like growing. Maybe just one of those years.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal