Author Topic: You can still grow veg if you have to give up your allotment....  (Read 5078 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Unfortunately in Jan 2015 I had to give my lovely four allotments up due to family circumstances as I just didn't have time to tend to them.  I missed them so much that I dug up my small urban garden and made it into a veg plot. 

I can now nip out when I have a few minutes and do a bit each day as it is straight outside my back door and I even pull the odd weed in my dressing gown early in the morning or even late at night lol.

Anyway, I won't say I don't miss my allotment plots as I still do, but this is second best.....but what I wanted people on here to know is that it is not all doom and gloom if you have to give your allotment up for one reason or another and that you can still grow fruit and veg if you have a small urban garden (and still enjoy this forum).

Below is a link to a slide show I made of my back garden this week for anyone that is interested (it's at the bottom of the page):

https://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/my-kitchen-garden-so-far-this-year/

This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Hector

• Hectare
Your blog/recipes really are super
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I totally agree with you.Over the years I have downsized from acreage to large plots, large gardens, small plots and now a small garden. Well the garden is actually small but the area used for veggies is. I have half a dozen 2 foot high ten foot  x 3 foot "beds a 10'12 greenhouse, and a gravel area with a lot of large pots.I would love more space. but  We are looking for a new  property for just this reason but in the meantime  we are looking for I have to make do.The current  garden is all landscaped with lawns and a few fruit trees.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
It isn't a small back garden as gardens go, but you have used space very well.  A good example of using fences, house walls etc.  Very well thought out and beautifully done.  I would recommend to anybody that they might like to watch your slide show.  Loved the herb area, so many hanging baskets with tomatoes too, just an inspiration.  Thank you for showing us your productive garden.   :icon_cheers: 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 23:53:20 by galina »

Paulines7

• Hectare
What a lovely garden.  You have planned it so well and utilised every space, yet still have room for a grassed area. I love the way your vegetables are interwoven with flowers.  Your garden is inspirational and it has given me some ideas for my vegetable area. You are a remarkable woman to have undertaken such a large project but the result is really lovely and will keep you and your family supplied with fresh fruit and vegetables for a good part of the year.  Well done.   :icon_cheers:

pumkinlover

Glad to see you posting again KG. Your garden is looking productive.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Well done !! This is exactly my plan for the future. We are in danger of losing our plots to housing in a couple of years and I will not move to another site. I already have a greenhouse and potting shed in my small garden and plan on building a kitchen garden at home.

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

kippers garden

• Hectare
Glad to see you posting again KG. Your garden is looking productive.

Yes it's nice to be back....I did go on a bit of a downer after having to give my four allotments up in Jan 2015 and have been keeping a low profile on here (just reading not posting)..... but hopefully I will be posting more now.   :icon_cheers:

I still do miss my allotments but I have found there are many advantages of having my plot outside the back door....but the one that makes me chuckle the most is picking this and that or pulling up the odd weed in my nightie...though I don't know what the neighbours must think lol
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

pumkinlover

It must have been a sad time for you. I did miss your blogs but glad that you are alright in yourself and back again.

artichoke

• Hectare
That is also an inspiration to me, as I fear I will have to give up two of my plots within a year or two.....my third one is a 3 minute bike ride away, and looking at how much you have crammed into your garden, I think I could make it much more productive than it is, even with a big old apple tree spreading ofer part of it. Thanks.

Elfeda

• Quarter Acre
Re: You can still grow veg if you have to give up your allotment....
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 16:21:27 »
KG, I have been fallowing your blog, got addicted too.not that am fallowing the advice :P.. I love reading.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal