Author Topic: Wilco Rose Arch  (Read 5613 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Wilco Rose Arch
« on: May 17, 2016, 00:08:51 »
I can see that many of you have used these as climbing supports....some comments mention reinforcing...others refer to collapse!!!!!

What have you done to successfully reinforce and what crops have been ok with these.
Thanks
Jackie

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Wilco Rose Arch
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:23:03 »
Mine are still derelict at the end of the allotment ... I did try reinforcing them, but they are so cheap and nasty that within one season the holes where they bolt together had already rusted so much that the bolts have nothing to latch on to ... it takes so much reinforcement that you might as well make a shanty-town arch from bamboo or something similar and have done with it.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:21:36 »
I have several that I use for net supports for Brassicas, they are the ideal height. I only put together the top part which leaves me with several spare rods to replace rusted poles when they start to give up the ghost. I never thought they were robust enough to support anything at full height! I am using three arches across a 15' brassica bed at the moment. I also make a slightly higher one for PSB.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:17:12 »
I've successfully used them to grow squashes vertically. They do rust and the lower legs need to be pushed well into firm ground. I'm using mine for the third year - one of them shortened due to rust. They will be off to the tip at the end of this season!

Tricia

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:47:15 »
Thanks folk. Food for thought. I was wNting to grow Trombocino on them :(
Jackie

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:59:24 »
Tromba squashes are what pulled both of mine down in their first year (before any rusting occurred)!  Frankly I think that those plants can be so rampant that they'd probably pull down a bamboo structure as well.  If you want them to grow vertically I would definitely recommend the sturdiest structure you can come up with.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:19:45 »
Thank you.....saved me from "squashed" plants.

Tricia, was it a less rampant type you used? I have U. Kuri .

Alternately I can grow Caucasian Soinach on it.

Deb, we bought some for Brassicas....good to hear your approach.

Thanks all.
Jackie

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 11:29:35 »
H.
I've grown Butternuts, Autumn Crown, Crown Prince (these were held in nets - supermarket oranges type - attached to the frame) and this year have just planted out a Hunter butternut and a Potimarron on the shortened one. I always try to tie the fruits as close to the frame as possible. And yes!  two years ago I grew a Trombocino on one of the frames. I had six huge fruit from the one plant but since I live alone it took me ages to use up even one of them so I won't be growing them again.

Uchi Kuri should be fine.

Tricia

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 12:29:08 »
Jackie

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 22:46:07 »
I used the arches to grow my climbing french beans on. I had the idea it would be a good use of space across a path and would look good. Unfortunately the different growing rate of beans on either side and/or the wind or just the very weak frame, meant that the metal twisted and then actually snapped. Far from attractive, I had hanging bits of bean and frame all in a tangle. I wouldnt use again....!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 10:44:51 »
Huge apologies Hector  :BangHead:.

I've just realised that I have been giving you wrong information! I've been growing my squashes on OBELISKS - not arches. I'm so sorry. I hope you haven't bought arches as a result of my posts. The obelisks also came from Wilco, by the way.

Tricia :glasses9:

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 11:09:09 »
No apologies required :) We have the Wilco arches as planned to use as brassica cage s....so win win. I was wondering if also ok for squash. I'll have a look at their Obelisks too :)

http://www.wilko.com/search?q=Obelisk

Ps which of these did you find successful?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:10:54 by Hector »
Jackie

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 15:18:23 »
The Wilko silver coloured one for a fiver.

Tricia  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal