Author Topic: New to Allotments - need advice on Lime  (Read 3346 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
New to Allotments - need advice on Lime
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:22:00 »
Hi, I am new to all this and have decided to grow some cabbage and sprouts. I need to use lime as a prevention against clubroot.  What sort of lime will I need?  I have never used it before and never grown brassicas.  Just potatoes, carrots, onions and salad stuff
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: New to Allotments - need advice on Lime
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 11:15:17 »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:30:39 »
Where is your soil?  What is your most annoying weed?   Is your kettle furred up?

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 16:56:57 »
Thanks for that Tee Gee.  I have acquired the powdered lime - all looking good.  Now what is the best way to deal with a really bad greenfly problem?  Hope you can help   
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 18:15:00 »
Thanks for that Tee Gee.  I have acquired the powdered lime - all looking good.  Now what is the best way to deal with a really bad greenfly problem?  Hope you can help   

This is a difficult one now that various treatments from the past have been taken off the market.

Add to that some people do not like chemical controls and others have their home made brews.

I am out of touch with what is on the market nowadays, so as I see it you will just have to read the labels.

This link might help:http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Aphids/Aphids.htm

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 18:26:17 »
a good squirt of washing up liquid sorts them out or squash with the fingers however its not for the squeamish
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal