Author Topic: feeding potatoes in containers  (Read 6905 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
feeding potatoes in containers
« on: April 23, 2016, 14:26:33 »
I have grown potatoes in containers in a cold greenhouse for the past few years and yields have been disappointing. Not sure whether this is down to lack of watering or feeding. Do other A4A users feed container grown potatoes? I have never done.

Hector

• Hectare
Re: feeding potatoes in containers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 14:56:40 »
I'll find it for you tonight when I get home but a chap shows using Vitax? Use in. 30litre container when growing spuds.

Just had a quick look...pretty certain it's this chap/ video. If it is, he has a follow up video and weighs crop obtained.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PJvLVXNKMWs
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 14:58:53 by Hector »
Jackie

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 15:28:21 »
I'll find it for you tonight when I get home but a chap shows using Vitax? Use in. 30litre container when growing spuds.

Just had a quick look...pretty certain it's this chap/ video. If it is, he has a follow up video and weighs crop obtained.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PJvLVXNKMWs

thanks Hector. will watch after footie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 16:09:02 »
Not sure whether this is down to lack of watering or feeding. Do other A4A users feed container grown potatoes? I have never done.

I have never gone to the trouble of growing in containers, not even in my exhibiting days, so I am no expert.

But I think you have answered your own question!

Potatoes are gross feeders and the tubers are 80-90% water so both these needs must be satisfied.

For example I always dig in loads of manure prior to planting, this ensures that the soil is moisture retentive. Once I have planted out (no ridges) I rake in a balanced fertiliser usually Fish, Blood & Bone. This usually gets weathered in prior to ridging up. Then prior to ridging up I scatter another few handfuls of FB&B and this gets mixed into the soil as I ridge the rows.

I always thought that those people who grow in containers emulate this practice by initially half filling the container and as the haulms grow keep adding more compost/fertiliser in effect ridging up.Plus they never allow the containers to dry out.

They should even be watered in the rainy season because the halms act like an umbrella and shed much of the rainwater to the outside of the container, meaning the container can become relatively dry!

I hope this helps!...Tg

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 18:00:30 »
i grow pots in containers its a bit expensive as i use shop compost and a handful of fbb i water every day 36 containers even if its been raining i think the key to good container spuds is big containers 40 ltr plus plenty of water and regular feeding  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 20:22:57 »
Thanks for all replies. regular watering and occasional feeding seems to be the answer. I think Container grown spuds are worth the effort to get nice clean new potatoes when shop bought are expensive and not as flavoursome. Hector: never used Vitax but I will look out for it.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 16:05:45 »
never used Vitax but I will look out for it.

Its good stuff I have been using it for the last couple of years for containerised stuff, I use FB & B outdoors in the beds, and I use Growmore on my ornamentals!

I used to use Chempak base fertilser now I use Vitax Q4  I have always considered Vitax to be better than Chempak but it was a bit pricy, particularly when you used as much as I did.

The reason for the change was when T&M took over Chempak they tripled the price of it making it on a par in terms of price  with Vitax. So I saw it as a no brainer to use Vitax as it is a better  fertilser, in my opinion.

I also changed my liquid feeding to Vitax and I now use VitaFeed recipes.

I use VitaFeed 1-1-1 as a general liquid feed which is 19-19-19

I use VitaFeed 1-0-2 as a high potash feed 18-0-36 so you can see the potash has doubled and the phosphate has been left out.

Meaning there is enough Nitrogen to keep the greenery on the go, the roots should be OK by the time you start to use it meaning there is no need for phosphates, then you get the double helping of Potash to ripen and bulk up the fruit / veg.

I buy the 10 kg tub of Vitax Q4 which is in powder form rather than granules as I always think this type goes further.

In previous years I have always made my own seed/cutting/potting compost but this year I have changed as I don't want the hassle of mixing compost anymore.

Now I just buy in multi-purpose compost and add some Q4 to turn it it into a true potting compost.

As I see it it now my 10kg tub will last me at least four or five years so the fairly high price is now spread over a number of years as opposed to the one or two it was before!

I also find that the 1kg size of VitaFeed is best value for money as I only need one 1-1-1 and two 1-0-2 to keep me in liquid fertiliser for the whole season.

My annual fertiliser / compost order is usually 1x 25kg Fish,Blood and Bone, 1 x 25kg Growmore* and 8 x 60litre multi-purpose compost.

* The Growmore usually does me two years.

So there you have it this is how I feed myself and my plants!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 22:12:29 »
My daughter is growing some salad spuds in 3 bag planters and we have used multi purpose compost (bought) which has a feed in it and once its finished growing spuds in i will reuse the soil as a top dressing for the trugs. The spuds get a daily water (till water runs out the bottom) and 2 of the 3 bags doing well the 3rd not so although they have all had the same treatment. We have however noticed some Ants in the greenhouse this week and wonder if they will affect the spuds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal