Author Topic: A new 5ft bamboo in a 10 inch pot - what to do next please.  (Read 2180 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Hallo All

Have a privacy problem in my new house so bought two Phyllostachys Aureae which stand about 5ft tall.  They are in 10 inch plastic pots, and the vendor said to repot soon.  He was busy at the time, but I gather loam and grit, with a smattering of manure or chicken pellets.  Does this sound right? 

Most importantly,  What Size Pot?  I have bought two 24" pots especially, for the purpose but are these too big? Any advice on keeping these bamboos healthy in pots would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: A new 5ft bamboo in a 10 inch pot - what to do next please.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 13:51:15 »

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: A new 5ft bamboo in a 10 inch pot - what to do next please.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 13:00:25 »
I have a Phyllostachys Aureae which I planted in the ground about six years ago.  It is a pretty plant with yellow and green canes which I cut off every now and again for use around the garden.  Mine hasn't gone out of control but even if it did, it is not anywhere near a neighbours garden.  It is near my security lights though which tend to be set off by the bamboo leaves swaying when it is windy.  Maybe I should have put mine in a pot!

I found this extract from the RHS website regarding growing bamboo in containers.  Their website address is below:

Container cultivation
Smaller bamboos make ideal container plants grown in a large pot (at least 45cm (18in) across and deep) in loam based potting compost such as John Innes No 3.

When planting, incorporate controlled release fertiliser pellets and water retaining gel in the compost. During summer, water frequently and feed with a liquid feed regularly. Reduce watering and stop feeding in winter. Ensure that bamboo plants in containers do not try out in winter, however, since the foliage is prone to wind scorch.

In very cold weather, insulate containers with bubble wrap or move them to frost-free conditions.

See: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=79

Good luck with your plants.  You could try dividing them which eventually would double the area that you want screened.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal