Author Topic: Cutting spuds ???? why why not??????????  (Read 7549 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Cutting spuds ???? why why not??????????
« on: March 24, 2016, 23:26:03 »
 Hi, Cutting seed spuds in half is a debatable point. I have done it both ways. I have read many articles on how and when..eg chit them first ? don't chit them. Dry the cut/ don't dry the cut...etc so  always when I try to read this question on the net the question gets lost in  the other points and I can't find the true answer.

So.. cutting spuds...if you do it why do you do it?

If you don't do it why not?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

rollingrock

Re: Cutting spuds ???? why why not??????????
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 23:48:57 »
I grew 4 different varieties I only had only 1 seed for each variety. I cut each seed spud half.   I let the cut pieces dry and  did not chit them before I planted them out. I had 8 plants instead of 4.
Production seem to be a lot more then I would have had from a single seed potato of each variety. But that might been to several other factors but I was not keeping track of all factors that might effect production so not sure if it was because I had more plants or not.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 00:52:15 »
So if I have this right your reason was shortage of tubers.. good idea.and thank you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 07:23:55 »
One of my experiments for this year is growing potatoes from sprouts - the annoying white shoots that have to be removed from potatoes in storage. 

I just want to know what happens, not for any other reason.  I stuffed the sprouts into potting compost and put them on the bench in the conservatory.  They have all taken and rooted in quick time.  There are big differences in the foliage.  The Charlottes are sizeable plants with a lot of foliage and a good root system, the Harlequins are not far behind.  The Sarpo Miras are well rooted but tiny plants.  We will see what happens when I plant them out compared to potatoes from tubers. 

Presumably it takes a little longer for plants to mature if they have less foliage.  A cut potato with only one eye will only have one plant stem.  Less green material = less photosynthesis and therefore it takes longer to get potatoes underground.  Which in blight areas could mean the difference between a good harvest or a poor harvest.

Could we catch up this extra time with planting up cut tubers first indoors and transplanting?  Frost protection in the early stages would certainly be needed.  In a way this would be a similar experiment to growing from sprouts, as I will also need to frost protect my experimental plants.   :wave:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:34:08 by galina »

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 11:38:34 »
The chairman of a local society used to cut a piece off every seed potato before he planted it saying that he wanted the seed to rot and let all the goodness go into the new crop, another member used to grow from separate shoots of new varieties , he once showed 20 different varieties at the local show all grown from chits. I always chit but as is said we all have our own ideas.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 13:09:28 »
I am another one who does it when I am short on tubers or just being tight. I chit mine first then at planting time I chop up making sure there is at least one chit on each piece. I have never noticed a difference in final crop either. I don't dry or treat the cuts I just bung 'em in.

I also remember my Dad getting crops from potato peelings when I was little so never think of chopping up being an issue.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 18:08:24 »
indeed if im short some of the larger tubers circum to the knife if they are chitted make sure you have eyes on each half then away they go no problem                              farmers place the halfs in chalk to dry the wound before planting  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 21:43:04 »
So lots of info generally  as I have found when I have investigated in the past.but still only two reasons why potatoes are cut /not cut which is what I am looking for .

1. For economy or shortage of tubers
2. Allowing rot in which aids new growth.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 22:35:49 »
The argument against cutting was always that it let diseases into the tuber, which infected the plants, and thus the following crop and affected storage...  :wave:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 22:39:23 »
Thanks Saddad, so 1 for not cutting now.

XX Jeannine

rollingrock

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 05:48:30 »
The argument against cutting was always that it let diseases into the tuber, which infected the plants, and thus the following crop and affected storage...  :wave:
sounds like old wives tale to me saddad

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 14:45:13 »
I've grown spuds from bigger tubers cut in two, and had no problems. I know someone who uses what he calls 'pull sprouts'. He plants them in a pot till they start to grow, then when they've grown a decent bit of root he pulls the sprouts off the tuber, and grows them separately. Apparently it works but he only gets a small crop off each one.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 20:15:13 »
Robert but why do you cut them, that is what I am trying to find out.

So far I have two who cut

1. For economy or shortage of tubers
 2. Allowing rot in which aids tubers

One who doesn't cut

1, it allows disease in

I was hoping to hear some things like extra yield, stronger plants.

I have never been able to get real answers on this one. The post always turns into how folks do it. I want to find out why. It has puzzled me for years.

XX Jeannine

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 03:01:07 »
I've always sowed whole ones simply because it's never occurred to me to cut them. I like to try to get three good healthy sprouts on each tuber and break off any excess (I read you get bigger potatoes that way) - I imagine it would be trickier to cut the potato in such a way that each piece has three good sprouts.

I suspect that the main reason why people cut or don't cut is because they were taught that way, and that's how they've always done it. People do lots of things for that reason.

I'd like to see some trials of cut vs uncut. That way we could just choose the way that produces best.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 03:33:33 »
Thank you Silverleaf, that makes sense. Yes I would like to see a trial too, in fact I may just do it, not many tubers but I have some which are rather large for seed potatoes but I have never cut them either, my reason is the same as yours..but when I got these big ones I started to read and here I am.

XX Jeannine

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 06:12:57 »
I do like to see experiments! I'll definitely be interested to see your results if you do try it Jeannine.

Actually I've just thought of another reason why I don't cut - I have only a small growing space but I'm keen on trying as many varieties as possible, so sometimes I will only grow one or two plants of each variety. Last year I had space for 24 plants from tubers (I have room for 32 this year) so I grew two each of 12 varieties. Hardly worth the risk of cutting for that few plants...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 14:46:09 »
When I've cut them, it's been down to shortage of tubers. I only cut the biggest, so the bits are as big as some of the other whole tubers.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 18:39:08 »
I'll ask my father if he remembers why his father grew his "poppies" from peelings .

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 22:56:47 »
sounds like old wives tale to me saddad ...

Probably is Rolling Rock...  :wave:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 20:04:24 »
I have never cut them in half because when I started lottying I was advised about the disease problem
Although one of my Irish friends said he used to do it when he farmed in Ireland
One of the Italians used to cut the bottom of the spud off
I leave mine whole but do limit some of Kestrels to three chits.  :tongue3:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal