Author Topic: Mini veggie garden  (Read 3236 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Mini veggie garden
« on: March 27, 2016, 20:43:13 »
Hi, since I moved a couple of years ago I have downsized yet again for garden space.. from acreage, to huge garden, to community gardens/lotties and now to a garden that is grassed with a few raised beds, lots of pots and a greenhouse. This coincides with me just feeding one now so it makes sense to aim for small plants and smaller veggies. I don't need a huge cabbage. I need cut and come again things or mini veggies. I am Ok with full sized plants in the greenhouse.

So, varieties etc. many of the brassicas come from the Uk and I have a fair few but not so many mini ones. I know I can plant regular ones closer and keep them smaller but from what I have read I am better to find the ones that mature small so I am asking for help.

I am OK with tomatoes, lettuce,cukes as I have seeds for those or space to grow them but would be very interested in anything you can share. I would like a mini savoy ( I have round and pointed cabbages that are small) I would like a mini cauliflower. There is a mini broccoli kabuki, I have had seeds before but they seem to have vanished but I think Nickies sells them so I am Ok there.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am giving one raised bed over to perennial veggies though . I had this before I moved and I miss it.

I have soft fruit in pots including a new pot type raspberry I bought late last year so I am hoping it comes through. I also have a spot with rhubarb.

I already grow sprouts and microgreens and small varieties of lettuce under lights through the winter and am hoping to add my mini tomatoes and peppers to that.

So pots, in the light, stuff in the greenhouse and others in sun/semi sun.

Oh and I have 1 bed that has a climbing fence so I am Ok with beans there

Oh to be self sufficient again!!

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Mini veggie garden
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 20:47:05 »
minicole is a cabbage that stays small i think its bred for pots or containers hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 20:51:12 »
Johnny yes, thank you I have that one but it is good to put the name there in case anyone else is on the same lines as me.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 20:53:26 »
Cabbage Caserta F1 Seeds
Cabbage Caserta F1 Seeds
Mini savoy type!  have you tried this one its from mr fothergills

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 22:37:55 »
Kabuki is a good small broccoli but I personally like a variety which multiheads, so that one plant which might be a bit bigger goes on producing every week for weeks,

Broadbean there is Robin Hood which is supposed to be small enough for a pot.

The mini cauliflower seems to be called Igloo.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 22:49:04 »
Pak choi and Mizuna instead of cabbages?

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_pak_choi.html

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:35 »
Funnu I types a reply and it didn't show..

So again.

Galina I am growing Toy Choi but I like regular cabbage too

Digeroo, I am hoping to do psb too
, I don't know Robin Hood,  I will investigate that one to see if the plants are small.
I thought I had Igloo but I can't find it, but I do have a new one coming

Johnnyco. that is one I would like  if I can find it.

I have just ordered  from Nicky's , they ship to me but sometimes there web site is behind so am hoping it is up to date and nothing I ordered is out of stock.

A got several different lettuces for my mixed greens patch plus some min lettuces ,, Little Gem,Minigreen and Tom Thumb so I have lettuce covered
 I git new Kabuki and cauliflower Freedom which can be grown small plus a few other things.. now if I could just find that savoy..

THank you all, I will try to keep this current in case anyone else is trying to do the same.

XX Jeannine

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 07:25:55 »
Golden Acre is quite small cabbage.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 07:33:12 »
Hi I have been all over the net looking for the savoy called Caserta with no luck.  There are several stores have it but won't ship to Canada I have found Igloo cauli on e bay...  I am going to pop a post in Wanted.

XX Jeannine

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 08:55:21 »
Hi Jeannine if you can't get the seeds you want shipped to Canada from the companies let me know & if possible I can order the seeds here in the UK then post them to you myself if that will help. xJane

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 09:16:58 »
I've a few seeds of Igloo, several years old which you are welcome to ( on checking they are from 2010, so maybe too old to be of worth.)

I'm trying Candid Charm F1 this year, which apparently gives tennis ball size heads and can be planted 8" each way in blocks. Would these be of interest?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 18:46:39 »
Have you tried Babbington leeks ? For a small space in my perennnial bed I get allota leek.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 19:03:06 »
Funnu I types a reply and it didn't show..

So again.

Galina I am growing Toy Choi but I like regular cabbage too

Digeroo, I am hoping to do psb too
, I don't know Robin Hood,  I will investigate that one to see if the plants are small.
I thought I had Igloo but I can't find it, but I do have a new one coming

Johnnyco. that is one I would like  if I can find it.

I have just ordered  from Nicky's , they ship to me but sometimes there web site is behind so am hoping it is up to date and nothing I ordered is out of stock.

A got several different lettuces for my mixed greens patch plus some min lettuces ,, Little Gem,Minigreen and Tom Thumb so I have lettuce covered
 I git new Kabuki and cauliflower Freedom which can be grown small plus a few other things.. now if I could just find that savoy..

THank you all, I will try to keep this current in case anyone else is trying to do the same.

XX Jeannine
if you have no luck let me know ill try and get a packet and post it to you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 21:26:33 »
Wow, you folks are pretty wonderful, thank you all so much, bless your hearts, I got a pm to say that the seeds had been ordered for me. gosh I feel all goose bumpy.

Babbington Leeks, now there is a soft spot, If you go back in time and remember I set up a perennial veggies garden at my community garden a few years ago and Babbingtons was one of the things I managed to get sent over from A4A, they took well . I was gutted when I gave up my garden. I hadn't been able to get there very often because of John . The garden folks were lovely to me, very supportive and tried valiantly to help me hang on to it, but it was more than half an hour drive and live was very difficult then so last year  I gave it up. I haven't been back since, so all my perennial garden was lost to me. I intend starting it again and I have one bed at home that I can use on a small scale.

Well I think I am pretty much sorted now. First year doing it by myself, first year with little space and little sun on the beds ,first year trying to do a mini garden and first year aiming for tinies. It should be an interesting year. I will post as I sow and try to keep the post current so if anyone else needs the help it will be there.

Thank you all

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal