Author Topic: Allotment Sheds -to lock or not to lock that is the question?  (Read 4526 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
I have just finally bought a replacement shed for my now dismantled old allotment shed(hope to get it assembled next week!).
I have been debating whether to follow the example of some people on the allotment and not fit a lock (just a latch) on the basis that since I have nothing really worth stealing (just old tools etc) at least the shed won't get damaged as they can easily look in and see there is nothing worth taking. However this leaves the shed open to vandals who just want to do damage or even possibly down-and-outs who want somewhere to sleep!
Alternatively, the other view is to fit multiple locks and bolts through the hinges but that risks suggesting to thieves that there is something worth stealing inside.
Looking on the web it seems that local councils vary dramatically in what advice they give.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Allotment Sheds -to lock or not to lock that is the question?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 18:59:47 »
Personally I have a lock on mine but I'm not sure it would do any more than stop people seeing what was inside it ... the fact of the matter is that allotment sites are not incredibly secure and sheds aren't incredibly strong ... if somebody was determined to get in to my shed then they could just break the door off quite easily.  I like to think that the curse I etched on the door when I built it with words to the effect of "may anyone who breaks in to this shed have their privates shrivel to the size of a hazelnut" helps too  :angel11:

I think the most important thing is not to leave anything very valuable in there.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 20:06:15 »
When I was in the UK on lotties, the sheds that were locked were regularly broken into .in fact a couple were fired.

Mine had no door on, it had two chairs inside with shelves containing stuff I used in the garden, fertilizer tec. I had an old dresser in there which had string, labels,bags,  some old trowels etc, there was an old camp  kettle and some mugs. Under the dresser was a space just big enough to slide a small gas burner in that wasn't visible.

We never left anything valuable in there and no one camped in it as without the door it was cold at night. We could sit when need be, make a cup of tea. Our good tools were never left in there. It was really just a shelter and basic store.

Nothing ever vanished and we had no vandalism at all. I worked very well for us.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 20:20:52 »
I choose not to lock either of my sheds. On our site it seems to me that the most secure plots and sheds get the most attention from burglars. Invariably the damage caused by breaking in is worse than what, if anything, gets taken. That said, we have had a couple of occasions when visitors have slept in sheds overnight. To be honest I don't have enough clear floor space for anybody to lay down in mine.  In the past we have also had teenagers looking for somewhere to hang out and smoke or drink. I don't think my sheds are too inviting for that purpose. I think my best protection is having neighboring houses that overlook the plots where the sheds are. My other plot which is not overlooked has no shed. I've not lost any tools in the 16 years I've been on site, so am happy to continue lock free.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 21:00:24 »
George I agree with the no lock sentiment having even left my house doors unlocked wheni lived on bad estates because I had nothing of value and the cost of replacement windows and doors was high.( I think the key is that Insurance companies insist on locked doors so if you want your stuff insured then you have to have a lock), but I've found no locks have worked for me especially in bad places. Good luck!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 22:59:32 »
If you do put a lock on I would suggest a real flimsy one so it is easy to break off with out causing much damage.
Another solution would be to use a short chain and padlock that allows the door to be opened far enough so they can see there is nothing worth taking but would keep the sleepers out.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 02:46:44 »
A lock will stop a casual opportunist scumbag as it's too much hassle to try and nick anything but if it's your more career criminal type they will get in regardless of how secure you think your shed is (unless its a full on thick steel jobby with deadbolts, the lot)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 07:50:26 »
I found a cheap dummy security camera and put it over my front door it has a blinking red light, it even moves when there is movement nearby and since putting it up it has deterred nuisance callers. I was thinking of getting another and putting it on my shed. It would make anybody think twice about approaching the shed. It ain't going to deter every scumbag, but then what would?  Just a couple of quid on fleabay.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 08:33:45 »
Hello George When I had a lock on my shed at my old allotment it was broken into twice despite me only ever leaving really old tools in it. After the second break in my shed door was damaged beyond repair so I stored tools in my greenhouse that wasn't locked & they were never stolen from there. I live in Kent & there does seem to be a 'stealing from allotment sheds season'....it will be soonish & it dies off by the end of June. I think the tools are taken to markets, bootfairs etc & sold. At my new allotment I have a very small shed & I don't lock it but it has a potting table left across the door - easy to move so I'm hoping no damage will happen if someone want to look in the shed. Both the allotment sites I have been on here in Kent have had very good quality high metal fences with sturdy gates with extremely strong locks.....the thieves simply use wire cutters to make a hole in the fences.
Jane 

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 08:35:12 »
Squeezyjohn your curse really made me chuckle xJane

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 18:01:03 »
i lock mine but if someone wants to get in they will however if they try mine it will take them a while and they might pass it bye as too much trouble as yet i have not had any trouble whilst other people on our site have been broken into on numerous occasions so either im lucky or the security is doing its job
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

rollingrock

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 06:10:00 »
I never thought there was a market for old tools and other stuff people stored in sheds on there allotment plot.I guess you live learn.
My dad taught if want have something stolen stick in front garden with sign "do not take private property"
It works ever time someone always seem take it even when it is not bin day.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 08:30:17 »
Hi I was at my allotment yesterday & had a chat with some people who have been at the site for quite a few years & they confirmed that the shed stealing season will soon be upon us here in Kent. They said hand tools are taken but it is mostly petrol driven things like mowers, tillers, rotavators that are taken. I have hired a rotavator for the Bank Holiday weekend so after hearing what they had to say I brought it home with me last night rather than risk leaving it in a neighbouring plot holders locked shed as I had planned to do. They also said any petrol cans with petrol in get stolen on a regular basis during the next few months then it all stops at the end of the Summer. Jane 

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 14:06:49 »
I have one allotment in an area that's almost posh and another in one that's almost a sink estate.

At the posh one only sheds that are locked get attacked and only power tools are stolen. I leave my spades & forks in the greenhouse for all to see - none of them are stainless or brand new and none have ever gone. Anything small and handy like secateurs get put in a plastic bottle or box and buried.

At the sink one break-ins are rarer and mostly people seeking shelter. I therefore use a weak lock. On the other hand if I leave anything at all out - even if it came from pound stores - it always disappears even if I remember and go back the next day. This includes anything with scrap value so I can't use copper pipes as stakes.  Also any plant that has a label will be pulled up - I only use coded labels now and only after the plant is firmly established.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 16:22:30 »
I have one allotment in an area that's almost posh and another in one that's almost a sink estate.

At the posh one only sheds that are locked get attacked and only power tools are stolen. I leave my spades & forks in the greenhouse for all to see - none of them are stainless or brand new and none have ever gone. Anything small and handy like secateurs get put in a plastic bottle or box and buried.

At the sink one break-ins are rarer and mostly people seeking shelter. I therefore use a weak lock. On the other hand if I leave anything at all out - even if it came from pound stores - it always disappears even if I remember and go back the next day. This includes anything with scrap value so I can't use copper pipes as stakes.  Also any plant that has a label will be pulled up - I only use coded labels now and only after the plant is firmly established.

Cheers.
vinlander I've never thought of it like that before our site straggles two distinctive areas one end large detached houses the other a council estate the sheds towards the large houses get broken into regularly  at my end the last 2 plots touch wood id never had any trouble there my be some mileage in what you say
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 13:59:32 »
Funnily enough, I've been so engrossed in developing two different stratagies that I've never tried to analyse - ?? - why are they different?

It may be that richer thieves go after bigger fish - but that doesn't guarantee they live in the posher area - they might be less-casual, more hardened thieves from elsewhere that tend to move towards richer areas but aren't above taking a few soft targets on the way.

As to my opinion of such people I paraphrase a nice observation by grifting Addie in 'Paper Moon' - "if our victims deserve it because they're so stupid, how come they always have more money than we do?"

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 14:38:57 »
I lock my shed because that's my choice.  In the early days, the locks were broken but not much stolen.  Most memorable was the pink leather gloves, screw driver and chisel - gives 'going equipped' new meaning I thought.  My response was the get increasingly stronger locks and padlocks; finally re-informing the frame with steel plate.  Eventually, they gave up.  I don't keep anything of value in there and that isn't the point.  I don't see why I should allow some scroat to dictate how I go about my hobby.

TelSteph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 21:42:49 »
Police gave us advice to padlock all sheds. In reality any shed with a padlock on in London may just as well have a sign on it saying 'break in, valuables kept inside'.
At the moment we have a gypsies stealing warm clothing. Must be desperate.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal