Author Topic: gooseberry Hinnonmaki Red growing in pots  (Read 2061 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
gooseberry Hinnonmaki Red growing in pots
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:14:25 »
Hi everyone, has anyone had experience of growing Hinnonmaki Red Gooseberries in pots?
I've just been given a new allotment but there is a rule that only 20% of my plot can have fruit planted in the actual soil. My raspberry canes will take up most of the 20% allowance so I plan to grow strawberries, gooseberries & blackberries in pots.
Any advice would be very welcome thank you.
xxx

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: gooseberry Hinnonmaki Red growing in pots
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 15:21:34 »
If you use a heavy loam based compost like JI No3, or just plain soil they will be OK for a couple of years. A bit of bonemeal will help (or other long acting fertiliser) but after  that  they will need repotting. 20% sounds like a silly rule to me...  :wave:

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 07:44:57 »
Thanks Saddad. Yep it is a really silly rule. We aren't allowed to grow asparagus either & when I got my plot it had two fruit trees already on it that I had to remove! My local council are a bit obsessed with nothing permanent being planted on the allotments.
Jane

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:14:04 »
Hi Saddad I've been thinking about what you said re having to repot the gooseberry plants & I can't think of a more spikey job  :tongue3: so I will plant them directly into the soil & hopefully get away with it as they won't take me much over the 20% allowance. Thanks so much for the advice. Jane

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal