Author Topic: Mounding up potatoes  (Read 9113 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Mounding up potatoes
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 14:28:42 »
I see some are planting in tubs, Fine... however the white tubs will let in light, :(  tubers will go green,  get some black paint quick... then the tubs will warm up too much :(  could bury them in the ground.
i have never had a problem with white tubs mine never let light thru maybe you should get some better quality ones and then you might not have that problem
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

thexman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 19:36:01 »
I've always grown spuds on raised beds, so never earth up, although always get a decent crop. The secret is to plant them as deeply as you dare, letting them force their way through the non-compacted soil to the surface. From what I understand, earthing up, apart from keeping plants safe when frost is around, also forces the plant to grow more side shoots on which the spuds develop. But this seems not to be a problem on raised beds.

This year, however, I've moved allotments and won't have enough ground prepared in the manner I like. So, I have dug a trench down through some weed ravaged soil. Ignoring the weeds and roots, I completely back filled the trench with well rotted horse manure and intend to use the excavated soil to earth the potatoes up when they emerge. Since the trench is in very heavy clay, the sides of the trench will be unforgiving, forcing the spuds to form only in the manure. I am fascinated to see what the results will be.

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 12:58:37 »

This year, however, I've moved allotments and won't have enough ground prepared in the manner I like. So, I have dug a trench down through some weed ravaged soil. Ignoring the weeds and roots, I completely back filled the trench with well rotted horse manure and intend to use the excavated soil to earth the potatoes up when they emerge. Since the trench is in very heavy clay, the sides of the trench will be unforgiving, forcing the spuds to form only in the manure. I am fascinated to see what the results will be.
[/quote]

Be careful the trench dug in clay soil and filled with manure will act as a sump with water from the surrounding soil draining in to it, not an ideal situation for developing spuds.
I would be more inclined to place the spuds on the surface of the soil and mounding the manure over the top, adding a layer of soil on the top, a bit like creating 'lazy beds'

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 18:58:37 »
I hoe a slight trench along a string line
Then use a spud planter to go down about 8/10 inches
After I've filled the holes with compost I earth slightly just to see the line
I then earth up just as the plant starts showing it's head
And so on and so on
Not only do I feel the plant needs light early on but I hoe off a lot of weeds as I go.   :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal