Author Topic: Artichokes....alive or?????  (Read 3267 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Artichokes....alive or?????
« on: March 12, 2016, 14:20:04 »
I have a feeling the very very damp and sodden weather our garden had last year may have bumped off our artichokes. We prepared the soil really well but with hindsight should have done a long, raised bed.
We are at a bottom of a hill and get a heck of a lot of run off water in a normal winter but last several months has had squelchy/ water logged soil.

It's still damp out there but I was thinking would it be harmful for me to have footless about with a fork to see if it looks alive or not....or am I best backing off?

I'm was going to order more Artichokes this year and have bigger beds...so good to know if any still alive
Jackie

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Artichokes....alive or?????
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 15:09:37 »
Jerusalem artichokes?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 17:11:12 »
No...I am an eejit....meant to say Asparagus :)
Jackie

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 19:57:46 »
No asparagus showing yet on our sites' plots although one plot holder has weeded her asparagus bed and laid a soft mulch on it, I assume to get clean spears.

Give it time, another six weeks say, then move to plan B.

Asparagus are naturally seaside plants so should be used to a bit of wet. :happy7:

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:19:32 »
Thanks folks :) I'm a bit nervous as wettest the place has been.
Jackie

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 13:47:53 »
I had a whole bed of asparagus crowns killed off by getting too wet in my first year on the allotment so it is possible.  I think they're at their most susceptible to drowning in their first year after planting but if the drainage is not good enough it can damage them.  However I suspect that yours will come through OK once the weather warms up a bit more - especially if it's an established bed.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 14:10:49 »
Hoping so. Very tempted to redo bed if they make it. The amount of water off field above us can now form temporary stream into garden after sustained weeks of rain. The raised beds...even low ones, fare far better.
Thanks for that. I will maintain a positive outlook ;)
Jackie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 16:21:14 »
I've never tried globe artichokes (I assume this is what you refer to; Jerusalems are pretty well indestructible), but I have grown cardoons, which are closely related. They don't like waterlogging. I could never keep them alive over winter, bu tI put one in a raised bed last year, and it's thriving. Worth considering if they have suffered.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 20:12:41 »
Robert, I said artichoke but meant asparagus. Senior moment.
Jackie

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:18:09 »
I put in another small raised bed of asparagus last year. I've only just got around to giving it a little weed, feed and tidy up and noticed a few shoots poking through, but nothing showing on the established bed. I've tucked everything up in a nice mulch so hope they will be protected from the frost for a little while. It's been a very wet winter here too and similarly the water just runs across the garden from the fields behind the house. So I was pleased to see them even though it's early, still a bit topsy turvy with the season.
Hopefully yours will be fine.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 17:49:08 »
Sound similar water-experience. Glad to hear yours have "swam" through:)

The damp has bumped off three out of six of my rhubarb.....this is part of garden planting where not raised...definitely rethinking that strategy :(

Neighbour is renting field beside us to new horse folk...could see chap looking as if I was bonkers on my hands and knees staring at soil shouting "two haven't drowned" Good way to make a new impression.
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal