Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2016?  (Read 125401 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2016?
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2016, 22:09:29 »
Seeds from Gere have just arrived , sowing the melon and squash today, Fingers crossed.

I lost all me seeds I ordered from Territorial, the parcel opened in the mail and an empty partial cardboard mailer, a packing slip and a letter of apology was sent from Canada post. $90 odd worth of seed was gone. Fortunately it was sent insured so it has been re shipped today but that is another month of waiting and some of it I wanted to grow this year..It wasn't anything for the circle though. My UK Nicky's order also arrived today so I can start my mini broccoli

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2016, 21:30:21 »
Replacement parcel has arrived..

Winnie the Pooh seeds from a friend have not germinated, not one, my own peppers and chillies did in the same propagator so I think they are duds. I could be wrong but the Gialla Nostrale seeds I also got from a friend seem without kernels, just seed pods so I think they may be  duds too. I have however sown them as there are a couple which seem a bit fatter, so fingers crossed.

Hero of Lockinge melon is coming on just fine and all my tomatoes are doing well, my cukes are hybrid so no go there, I have aubergine doing well but nothing special and I have Bulls Horn sweet pepper . Thai Dragon and Habanero doing OK.

I will have Gigantes beans and my families own bean which I am growing for seed this year, still hasn't got a real name.

XX Jeannne
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2016, 08:12:56 »

Winnie the Pooh seeds from a friend have not germinated, not one, my own peppers and chillies did in the same propagator so I think they are duds.

Oh pooh, what a shame, they sounded fun ones to grow.

Good news they sent a replacement parcel. I'm envious of your melons, I've not started any but know I'll wish I had! Sounds like your sowings are coming along a treat Jeanninie  :sunny:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2016, 19:30:32 »

Hope all is well with you.. Jay so far all is doing well, I am starting summer squash today, yesterday I got celeriac and chard out plus my Gigandes . I memtioned to the friend about non geminating and he said he would send me some fresher seeds but will they get here in time. I very much doubt it.

Tiny Toes has fruit on but not Tiniest or Tommy yet. Tommy is actually out in the greenhouse as it is a full size plant but the two babies are inside, they seem identical in height, leaf etc ecept one has fruit and one has flowers.

XX Jeannine

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2016, 09:32:20 »
.....and on to this year

Here are my first two seed share items:

I've got a large quantity of Sacred Basil already out in the field.

Until last summer I thought I hated Basil, but having been forced to eat fresh pesto throughout July I can no longer live without it!  Very much hoping this variety is good for that.  Will keep you posted.

My main reason for getting this seed is that according to Wild Garden Seeds website it's much better adapted to cool weather climates and doesn't blacken with late spring frosts.  Mind you I'm not risking it -will be fleecing up for the cold weekend.
https://www.wildgardenseed.com/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=148&osCsid=81995cbfffa5694c847a14fc3810ed4f

Their paper brochure gives an extended entry and it sounds even more tempting.
"Distinctly fragrant basil that we have long used as a salad enhancer.  The whole leaves are crisp and clove flavoured, very cooling in summer salad.  The immature bite-sized buds and their subtending pair of leaves are a beautiful topping for salad or desserts.  Excellent pollen and nectar source for bees.......One of our favourite plants"

My first tomato offering will likely be Caro Rich - let's wait and see how it tastes, but apparently extremely high in Beta Carotene.  Developed by Alan Kapuler.  Seeds from Brownenvelopeseeds.com
http://www.brownenvelopeseeds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=caro+rich&Submit=

I'm a big fan of his after growing his Painted Hills sweetcorn last year (the best ever, simply divine!!!).  This year I'm doing that again and Double Red, plus his Spring Blush hyper-tendril snap peas. Where will it all end?   I guess I must be a groupie  :alien:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2016, 22:17:47 »
My Gallia Nostrale trailing courgettes have all sprung up, but bad girl here, I slipped up and didn't sow the new melon or the new squash,, I am doing it today so everyone keep fingers crossed. I am also trying the last few Winnie the Pooh just in case as the second lot have not arrived.

Tomatoes are all doing well, most have flowers and a couple have tiny fruit. I don't think I posted the names earlier so I will now just in case there is anything there anyone wants.
I will only post the OP ones and not the micros
Ildi
Rebecca Sebastian's Ball Bag
Kootenai
Kalinka
Islandaise..this one is loaded with flowers by the way, far ahead of everything else
Shirley OPEN POLLINATED
Hoy
.New Yorker
Virginia Sweets, super bi color beefsteak
Cowlicks Brandywine
Opalka
Couer di Bue

I got 4 new tomatoes yesterday in the mai, it is very late but I am going to sow a couple of each, my season is a bit linger than yours so maybe!!!!

Sin'ks Striped, pink and yellow bi colour, Old German type about llb
Violet Noir, deep purple black beefsteak blemish free
Pamplemousse de Grand Pere, bi color,yellow with pink bottom very pretty,llb
Fleur de Reagir,maroon black, when cut in half it looks like a flower, very heavily ruffled, a real old fashioned tomato flavor. Very beautiful

I am aslo going to search my seeds and grow another one to try to use as a papa plant for my micro cross experiment to come.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2016, 07:11:09 »
My Gallia Nostrale trailing courgettes have all sprung up, but bad girl here, I slipped up and didn't sow the new melon or the new squash,, I am doing it today so everyone keep fingers crossed. I am also trying the last few Winnie the Pooh just in case as the second lot have not arrived.

Tomatoes are all doing well, most have flowers and a couple have tiny fruit. I don't think I posted the names earlier so I will now just in case there is anything there anyone wants.
I will only post the OP ones and not the micros
Ildi
Rebecca Sebastian's Ball Bag
Kootenai
Kalinka
Islandaise..this one is loaded with flowers by the way, far ahead of everything else
Shirley OPEN POLLINATED
Hoy
.New Yorker
Virginia Sweets, super bi color beefsteak
Cowlicks Brandywine
Opalka
Couer di Bue

I got 4 new tomatoes yesterday in the mai, it is very late but I am going to sow a couple of each, my season is a bit linger than yours so maybe!!!!

Sin'ks Striped, pink and yellow bi colour, Old German type about llb
Violet Noir, deep purple black beefsteak blemish free
Pamplemousse de Grand Pere, bi color,yellow with pink bottom very pretty,llb
Fleur de Reagir,maroon black, when cut in half it looks like a flower, very heavily ruffled, a real old fashioned tomato flavor. Very beautiful

I am aslo going to search my seeds and grow another one to try to use as a papa plant for my micro cross experiment to come.

There are some fantastic names their let alone what the fruit will be like. Would love to know how you get on with Pamplemousse de Grand Pere

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2016, 07:35:58 »

Hope all is well with you.. Jay so far all is doing well, I am starting summer squash today, yesterday I got celeriac and chard out plus my Gigandes . I memtioned to the friend about non geminating and he said he would send me some fresher seeds but will they get here in time. I very much doubt it.

Tiny Toes has fruit on but not Tiniest or Tommy yet. Tommy is actually out in the greenhouse as it is a full size plant but the two babies are inside, they seem identical in height, leaf etc ecept one has fruit and one has flowers.

XX Jeannine

Hi Jeanninie  :wave: I'm a bit like the weather at the moment, but good. My squash have been popping up too, including my lovely lovely Sibley, which you kindly sent amongst many other squash seeds some years ago, they are firm favourites here. I checked back on Tiny/Tinest toes the other day and now I have forgotten! Tinest T might have evolved from the overwintered cutting from Tiny Toes and not seed saved, from memory one was red fruited and one pink. I think Tiny is red and Tinest pink. Have a look at the stems too, if they are the same as mine were, one is hairless the other hairy. How tall are the two Tiny's? Fun to be growing all three  :happy7:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2016, 07:53:26 »
.....and on to this year

Here are my first two seed share items:

I've got a large quantity of Sacred Basil already out in the field.

Until last summer I thought I hated Basil, but having been forced to eat fresh pesto throughout July I can no longer live without it!  Very much hoping this variety is good for that.  Will keep you posted.

My main reason for getting this seed is that according to Wild Garden Seeds website it's much better adapted to cool weather climates and doesn't blacken with late spring frosts.  Mind you I'm not risking it -will be fleecing up for the cold weekend.
https://www.wildgardenseed.com/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=148&osCsid=81995cbfffa5694c847a14fc3810ed4f

Their paper brochure gives an extended entry and it sounds even more tempting.
"Distinctly fragrant basil that we have long used as a salad enhancer.  The whole leaves are crisp and clove flavoured, very cooling in summer salad.  The immature bite-sized buds and their subtending pair of leaves are a beautiful topping for salad or desserts.  Excellent pollen and nectar source for bees.......One of our favourite plants"

My first tomato offering will likely be Caro Rich - let's wait and see how it tastes, but apparently extremely high in Beta Carotene.  Developed by Alan Kapuler.  Seeds from Brownenvelopeseeds.com
http://www.brownenvelopeseeds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=caro+rich&Submit=

I'm a big fan of his after growing his Painted Hills sweetcorn last year (the best ever, simply divine!!!).  This year I'm doing that again and Double Red, plus his Spring Blush hyper-tendril snap peas. Where will it all end?   I guess I must be a groupie  :alien:

I love seeing your list of varieties  :icon_cheers:

Sacred Basil I remember as having quite a distinct taste and the leaves smaller than the regular type basil. Hope they do well, fresh seed would be lovely.

I'm growing Caro Rich this year too! A different source for seeds though, mine were very late to be sown, so hopping I don't run out of room for them!

I was going to grow Double Red for the Seed Circle as they are just soooo good, but I see Real Seeds are stocking them now so I may reduce the amount of plants and go with something else instead. Double Red are gorgeous, not early though and watch out for staining your hands red when picking and peeling them.

Spring Blush are delightful too a really lovely pea, I think I must be a groupie too!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2016, 07:57:28 »

Jeannine, I've just sown a few varieties I really wanted to try this year and although they won't have a long season they should still produce, so with your longer season you should be fine.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2016, 19:01:00 »
The wierbloom oldambuster broadbeans are living up to their name, lovely white flowers. Hope the beans are as lovely , Sunloving.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2016, 00:22:52 »
The wierbloom oldambuster broadbeans are living up to their name, lovely white flowers. Hope the beans are as lovely , Sunloving.

This broadbean came to me with the name Oldamster Wierboon, but this has recently been corrected by another Dutch seedsaver to Oldambster Wierdeboon.  Yes the pure white flowers on this broad bean are striking, but the name isn't bloom, but boon, which is Dutch for bean. 

They also smell fabulous in flower, really delightful perfume, especially in the evenings after a warm day.

I hope you will like them too.  There are 4-5 beans in each pod, but there are usually several pods on each node, so harvest is very good.  Beans are not the largest, but larger than field beans, with green skins.

This is the only broad bean I have been growing for many years.  And they also freeze well.  MIL loves them as tiny beans, just set and cooked whole.  I was a bit skeptical at first, but they are so nice as 'green beans', as well as mature beans for shelling.

I grew this broad bean for the seed circle quite a few years ago.  It is a Dutch landrace bean that has seen a bit of a revival in the Netherlands (and has travelled to Eire too).  :wave:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2016, 03:07:33 »
Oh that is some nice looking bean, I have a thing about broadies especially because over here they are rarely grown. Thanks for sharing the info

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2016, 05:13:39 »
Hi Gallina thanks for the info, I was given these by goodlife a few years ago when we met at the Birmingham allotments of betula. They have lots more flower ATM than my other black tipped varieties and so it looks like it may be a great crop of young beans , just have to remember to save a few for the group!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2016, 09:49:19 »
Sunloving, yes the quantity flowers hints at the productivity.  Many flowers to a node (if they all get pollinated) means many beans. And this is the only broadbean that I have come across with pure white flowers.

This one was nearly lost in its homeland, but is seeing a bit of a revival.  Originally from Groningen area.  A small Dutch seed company has taken it on to preserve this variety.

When I originally got the seeds from Jaap Vlaming, there was nothing on the web at all about this variety.  Fortunately things have turned around. 
http://www.zaderij.nl/boon-oldambster-wierdeboon.html

I'll have to dig out a few photos.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2016, 20:33:17 »
This should have been the first broadie I grew. I remember the time well, I was in  my early twenties and I had rented a house  with half an acre, it belonged to the farmer next door who had bought the property for the extra land but the half acre around the house went with it. It had a beautiful huge veggie patch, very well cared for so I decided to sow stuff.

Broadies  were the first thing I did and the first to break the soil, I watched them very carefully. Every day, the first thing I did was to look through my window as I was making breakfast and peep at my broadies. I had read books about pests etc so was expecting black flies and also white  butterflies with bits of black on my cabbages.   I could see the start of flowers on my broadies so I was very excited, then one morning I looked out and all over them were these white things with black bits. I screamed there are cabbage butterflies on my broadies and went racing out to save them, I tripped over the cat, went down, almost broke a toe and couldn't walk for 2 weeks...

The broadies of course had flowered but I had never seen it before, I think I was expecting roses or something instead I got what looked just like cabbage white butterflies from my window, white with black bits .

If I had had plain white blooms I may not have a crooked toe...

Oh heck,, the tearful joy of remembering times past. sniff sniff

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2016, 20:36:58 »
Still no germination on Winnie the pooh..sorry folks

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2016, 22:34:20 »
Mine are in flower too! Also have Crimson Flowered and my landrace which have ordinary flowers - should be interesting to see how they combine next year...

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2016, 10:08:19 »

Absolutely delightful Sunloving.  I had no idea there were such BBs.  Looking forward........

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2016, 10:25:41 »
This should have been the first broadie I grew. I remember the time well, I was in  my early twenties
If I had had plain white blooms I may not have a crooked toe...

Oh heck,, the tearful joy of remembering times past. sniff sniff

Jeannine, ouch!  Glad it didn't put you off gardening!  Somewhere on here are photos of Jayb's broadie crosses and their flowers.  Fabulous shades. 

These will be a super addition to the seed circle, Sunloving.  Fingers crosses they will just do their stuff for you.

Yes that meeting at Squash64s allotments was magic.  I remember so well how you (in that lovely red dress) broke the ice, gave us all a hug and introduced yourself - and had us all chatting in no time at all.   :sunny:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal