Author Topic: Weed suppressant fabric  (Read 12024 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Weed suppressant fabric
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 16:26:40 »
What is the advantage of growing squash through a membrane?

it keeps the ground warm weeds down and keeps the ground damp all good for growing squash doing my sweetcorn bed tomorrow weather permitting hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 13:18:39 »
sweetcorn bed completed just the tomato bed to go

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 14:12:00 »
I usually use hops as weed control. I think I'm going to try this method for growing melons this year. johhnyco15 surely that picture was not taken this morning? Is there any chance you you can nudge the  :sunny: my way.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 16:55:23 »
I usually use hops as weed control. I think I'm going to try this method for growing melons this year. johhnyco15 surely that picture was not taken this morning? Is there any chance you you can nudge the  :sunny: my way.
yes indeed clumsy that was around 10 this morning they dont call this the sunshine coast for nothing you know

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 20:04:36 »
So what is the general verdict on the death of worms and other soil organisms when the earth is covered for a season with permeable membrane?

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 09:57:31 »
So what is the general verdict on the death of worms and other soil organisms when the earth is covered for a season with permeable membrane?
I find that it depends on what food they have , so if your bed had manure then the cover it will be full of life but if there's no supply of roughage from above then it can be less alive, however I would expect that soil animals don't like drying out much either and so the covers probably increase the soil humidity in the top layer.  If it was plastic though then it would just dry out underneath to. Swings an roundabouts I'd say. X sunloving

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 10:23:06 »
Worms are very mobile. Is there any evidence that they die, or do they just move out?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 20:39:12 »
under my fabric i put 10 large bags of well rotted manure then straw then 6 large bags of nearly rotted leaves then finally the fabric there is always an abundance of worms etc when i lift the membrane at the end of each season and no trace of above mentioned substances so i believe the worms are thriving  pic shows the bed ready for the membrane

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 10:03:16 »
j15, that sounds an absolutely wonderful mix.

Yesterday I removed a tarpaulin put down last October over some horse manure and a lot of weeds and was very pleased to find the soil clean and workable, though I did have to dig out 4 or 5 surviving dandelions and a dock. After only a bit of raking, and spreading some kitchen compost (well rotted apart from all those long lasting egg shells), I was able to plant 50 broad bean plants straight into it with no further digging. Quite a few worms and other creatures wriggling about, so no harm done.

I have let this plot get into a terrible mess, so Covering and Smothering is the way to go, I think, to get it back.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 11:18:18 »
What is the advantage of growing squash through a membrane?

There are other advantages that are shared by all mulches - reduced water loss (squash are thirsty plants) which can also mean the plants get more time to send roots down between waterings. Frequent watering can encourage roots to go up.

Sheet mulches are useful but either need to go in between rows (with an extra task to hold each strip down properly) or they need to be pierced to get the plants in.

Piercing the sheet only really makes sense with big plants that need to be spaced out both ways.  Basically the law of averages says the more piercings made the more piercings damaged - you end the season lifting and storing a much more fragile sheet. You may even end up with a sheet that is too much trouble to re-use.

If your crop matures over a long period then you may try to remove some before the rest are ready - which is asking for trouble if you can't just leave the root in place - pot leeks are doable (with a knife) but blanched ones aren't - onions are particularly tricky - and at both ends of the season, since sprouting sets have a habit of missing the hole.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:19:54 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 08:40:38 »
Hi I always plant my squash plants through good quality permeable membrane. I actually get less slug damage this way & it keeps the actual fruits off the damp clay soil as well. If I have strawberry beds I also plant through membrane & find that I have less rain damage on the fruits. Jane

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal