Author Topic: Garlic or Shallots in containers  (Read 1939 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Garlic or Shallots in containers
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:46 »
Monty Don did a great video regards shallots ( and possibly garlic) in containers....it seems to have gone off the BBC site.

Anyone grow these plants this way...results and container size?
Thanks
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Garlic or Shallots in containers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 16:36:18 »
Yes I have but to be fair most of my containers I use for growing are the big plastic containers that come for storage. I am not sure what they are called there but here they are Rubbermaid. I have the  really big ones that are about three + feet x about 24 inches and about 24 inches deep so they work rather like raised beds. They grew in those the same as my big raised beds in the garden.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 17:00:14 »
For the second year I am growing elephant garlic in pots, I grow two cloves in a Morrisons flower buckitt as they need the depth, seems to work and looks attractive too.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 18:59:53 »
Jeannine, absolutely delighted to see you here. Thanks to you I have a canner and a dehydrator...you are a good influence ;)

Thanks Markfield...never realised that Elephant Garlic had those gorgeous flowers. I'll give that a stab.

As other garlic smaller, would I get away with a 7.5L pot?
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal