Author Topic: "New" mower!  (Read 3051 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
"New" mower!
« on: February 22, 2016, 20:32:08 »
At long last I've rescued my Atco Standard from my parent's barn, and it's  in my shed - hopefully to run sometime later this year!

I have a lawn like a postage stamp, but the verge outside might cause the council some head scratching...

Atco Standard? Wossat, I hear you cry?

One of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTZ0XSEhJzo (not mine, sadly)

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

lavenderlux

• Acre
Re: "New" mower!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 16:56:32 »
So - now you'll need to join the Old Lawn Mower Club!!
We also have a postage stamp size lawn at home, so my husband volunteered to be the field warden on our allotments - so he could use his Atco Standard 1926 - and since then he's received donations of other vintage and classic mowers (all built to last) which he uses on our site on a regular basis (we have a community lawn area and a trackway with a central grass area which needs cutting).  We have Several Ransome's models, a Webb's, a couple of Suffolk Lawn Mowers models - and just this morning he found a Ransomes Ajax mark 5 on a plot being given up and the mower left - so no doubt it'll get restored - and join the other push mowers he has restored which are on 'free use' by our plot holders.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 17:35:27 »
Years ago we had to knock down some old sheds on some ground the council purchased. Inside was an large old cylinder mower that pulled a roller seat behind it. It was rusted out and beyond repair so I loaded it on the truck with all the other rubbish to go to the tip. But I took the engine out of the mower which was a BSA and powered by a V twin 750cc engine. I reconditioned it and shoehorned it into a motorcycle frame with a triumph gearbox and built a beautiful chopper which won a load of prizes at shows. After one bad crash I removed it from the bike and then fitted it to a 3 wheeled Morgan replica I built. Sold it for a nice price but it should still be going somewhere as there are only a few of the old BSA twin engines about. Much more fun than cutting grass with it.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 19:31:11 »
So - now you'll need to join the Old Lawn Mower Club!!

I'm number 83 - joined about 1993!

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal