Author Topic: Rhubarb rhubarb :)  (Read 3350 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Rhubarb rhubarb :)
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:23 »
I've saved and treated myself to a dehydrator. I was going to buy some Livingston, as they produce later in season BUT there's not a lot of info on taste.
It's struck me that with dehydrated I have alternate option of growing more earlier ones where the taste is known to be sweet and then drying them.

Anyone taste Livingston? Also is The Sutton as tasty as folks say.
We love rhubarb :)
Jackie

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Rhubarb rhubarb :)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 14:56:44 »
I love rhubarb as well.  Not sure I like the idea of drying it though. I have no idea about the Livingston type,  I am not sure about the later growing season.

I pick rhubarb and freeze half. We have already had a picking from this years rhubarb and also eaten my frozen stuff from last March. I don't taste much difference. I just wash it, dry it off then cut it into bits and place on a tray in the freezer,  Once frozen I bag it up.  To use just thaw and then cook.

However, having said that I would be interested to hear what the rhubarb tastes like and how you cook it.

Bill

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 16:24:12 »
No idea what variety mine is but the big taste difference for me is between the sweet and tender early forced stems and the later unforced stems.  I force my plants in rotation and freeze the excess pink stuff.  Spare mature stems end up in chutneys and jams and the freezer.    Don't fancy dried rhubarb somehow.
Obxx - Vendée France

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 19:19:29 »
This has reminded me. it's rhubarb festival in Wakefield this weekend.
http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/residents/events-and-culture/events/festival-food-drink-rhubarb

Has anyone ever been?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal