Author Topic: Lottie Restrictions  (Read 18298 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Lottie Restrictions
« on: February 26, 2004, 21:38:34 »
Many of you have told us what you do on your lotties and what sort of facilities you have on the sites.

I was wondering what kind of restrictions your site has. What CANT  you do with or on your allotment.

For example many sites dont allow watering using hosepipes or sprinklers. Others restrict you to a shed and no other structures such as raised beds and fencing(as i think the ones local to me, run by the council do).

So lets hear what you cant do on your lottie.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Lottie Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 00:01:36 »
uumm......nope....no restrictions on ours, just a little common sense as the site borders private gardens at either end and they do not really wanna sit at their brekky table and look out and montrosities which are supposed to be sheds.  I don't know if there are any rulings about keeping animals - our site isn't a council one.....I shall have to enquire.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 00:35:41 »
We cant plant trees of any sort, no fires,  no vehicle access only at set times and then only with key held by lottie president. Only one key and no duplicates allowed.  No animals or livestock to be kept(now do they mean the rabbits or not?)  To be fair though the lottie's right on the coast in an area of outstanding natural beauty, and houses are right behind us so we cant obscure their view of the Straites.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 02:27:30 »
We must get permission to erect structures, are not allowed to build permanent dwellings on site, can't use a hosepipe except to fill up our water butts and can only keep 6 chickens and 2 rabbits!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re:Lottie Restrictions
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 13:40:50 »
we can't plant trees, and no fires at the weekend due to pigeons but other than that the site secretary told me not to worry about rules!

shifty581

• Quarter Acre
  • Old digger
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 15:48:28 »
Mine is a council site, round about 100 sites, we have access by car.
Not too many rules, you have to apply to put up a shed,
You can keep chickens and rabbits, dogs must be kept on a leads, no hose pipes, water is collected from self filling troughs, I am lucky I have one just 10m away from my patch.
E J. can’t read what your notice says.
Tony Shoo (shifty)

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 16:42:49 »
Mine similar to legless - I do need to request permission from the committee when I put a shed up - but apparently, this means shouting over two allotments next door to Billy!  Hosepipes are fine, fires are fine unless the pigeons are racing that Saturday.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 16:17:19 »
Nothing exciting Shifty - it is from the image provider saying the pic has been view to much this month.  I don't know what they are likely to do about it, but it should only be used so many times a month, but because I gossip and chat so much it quickly gets used up.  Will launch a new piccy soon.   ::)

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 16:20:19 »
No firearms allowed nor the keeping of fowl or similar (which is just as well, I suppose, otherwise the fox would likely get them...)

And every shed must have a minimum of two water butts!  :D

AC x
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 22:07:58 »
So Richard, we have told you about our restrictions....do your parents give you any rules about the garden and what you can and can't do?

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 07:31:01 »
No livestock, no sheds, we're allowed a storage box though (but it has to be under a certain size)

-B_B-

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 11:36:47 »
We're not allowed to build any residential strucures on our sites and we must get written permission to build any structures or keep livestock

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 14:13:57 »
So Richard, we have told you about our restrictions....do your parents give you any rules about the garden and what you can and can't do?

Obviously anything major has to be discussed, but generally quite flexible really, particularly in the veg plot. As long as i grow the crops they want me to grow there is no problem. Most of the crops i like to eat myself so there is no problem there. At the end of the day I am doing it for them not myself, and have to remind myself of this often when i am in danger of getting carried away.

This said in some of the ornamental areas, i get a free hand, since our plant tastes are similar.

Doesnt stop me dreaming of what i'd do in a garden of my own though.  :D

EvieB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 12:15:22 »
Gosh, you lot have it tough, we aren`t allowed any livestock but we do have water taps (about 4 on site) and can have sheds, greenhouses and fires as long as the wind is in a certain direction so`s not to blow on residents washing ::)
I`m told that we can`t plant trees but there are some mature fruit trees already ???
Are they Melons? (o)(o)

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 13:08:36 »
We're not allowed to grow what is termed 'permanent' fruit/veg, which includes strawberries and asparagus as well as fruit bushes.  Lighting up a bonfire when a pigeon race is on is likely to get you a rollocking and sent to Coventry as we have a lot of pigeon racers on site and the smoke puts off the pigeons coming in.  We can keep rabbits, ducks, geese, chooks, pigeons though.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 13:57:14 »
our little allotment site in central ondon is run bu the church commissioners.... there were no rules when it was set up so the allotment secretary wrote a report stating how everyone liked...' to grow vegetables, fruit and flowers for their enjoyment.' the church commisioners didnt comment at all on this so now it's in print - we can grow anything we like :)
as to sheds and such, it's only a small site so i guess it's common sense to only erect small sheds and/or tool boxes.
one thing i do know is no bikes allowed to be stored on site.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

DocAlgae

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 15:06:54 »
We're allowed to grow what we like and put up sheds etc., as we like.  Only thing we're not allowed is rabbits, etc.  Which is probably because of the massive bunny population anyway.  Good job we have no tree restrictions because we've just taken on another half plot and intend to turn it into an orchard!  Tee hee!  Only got the first plot last July as well!   ;D

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 12:25:25 »
Greenwich council rules:

No livestock (can keep bees with permission, but not allowed to bury dead ones on site)
Can use hose to get water to plot but not allowed to water plot with hose - hand only
Can have bonfires but not if damp, windy, or still.
Shed up to 8' x 5' but no bigger
Dawn

jimyb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 14:07:13 »
on ours.. we cannot have any structures above 4' (except fruit cages) so all the sheds are sunk in the ground
no greenhouse or poly tunnels on site
All things grow with love.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 15:58:17 »
We can't plant fruit trees without permission, or use hose pipes and we have to be careful about fires or we'll get told off.  Someone lit one near me when I was busy on the plot and it was blowing in my direction, cough, cough.  The firestarter came and aplogised profusely.  We can't keep livestock of any kind.  Bees apparently are allowed.  Bees don't like bonfires much so again we have to take care  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal