Author Topic: Soil preparation  (Read 4831 times)

jeber

Soil preparation
« on: January 25, 2016, 22:06:56 »
Newbie here,hello

Just finished removing part of large lawn to create  4 veg beds.  Backbreaking dig-over nearly finished...very compact, heavy and visible clay in parts Have access to mushroom compost, bark mulch and fine gravel. Which is best to improve the soil with ???or shoud I use some of all three together!

Thanks

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Soil preparation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:22:22 »
Chuck it all in, but don't expect rapid results. Keep adding manure every year then after 3 years you will be getting there. Make up some raised beds over the worse bit for as many of the usual salad crops and plant spuds and brassicas in the other. It might seem like a long time but it will come. My allotment site was newly opened 4 years ago, one of my plots which I took over 18 months ago was heavily manured and is now a nice spit deep in good friable topsoil. The other was never used properly so I am slowly breaking it in from brickworks clay to the same as the good one. Still usable but hard digging.

One trouble with clay is it does not drain so well, but if you trench the edges and half fill them with all the bigger stones you dig out, then gravelly soil over the top it will provide what we call a French drain. Perfect for curing wet claggy conditions. No need to dig a trench all in one go, start at the lowest point and gradually work up the plot over a few years, it gets rid of all sorts of rubbish at the same time.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:15:09 »
Warm welcome to A4A jeber. I personally would not put gravel in veg beds, however fine, for fear of it interfering with root crops. The mushroom compost/composted bark is fine.

ACE is right, keep adding as much organic matter as you can and over time you will achieve a good veggie growing medium. Clay soil can produce excellent crops so keep at it. :happy7:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:19:05 by ed dibbles »

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 13:16:28 »
Hi jeber and welcome.

This is probably a subject to get loads of answers.

I do think you should choose a course of action and stick with it.  Some will suggest the "no dig" method and others will say dig as much as you can.  The first method will require cardboard (or similar) and plenty of organic matter.  The second method will require the right tools, a strong back, a lot of spare time and loads of organic material.  Done right both methods should reach the same results, with different consequences (a total lack of cardboard in the area or a bad back). 

You could of course try both methods on different parts of the ground.  As others have said the organic matter is the key point.  If you do the digging then I can confirm that it does get easier and you should get very good result from your soil.

My admiration to you for taking the first step and best wishes for the future.

regards 

Bill

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 19:05:56 »
i know that no dig is very fashionable however i believe right or wrong that digging in as much organic matter as you can get your hands on and then in a months time do it all again and if you have the back for it do it again in april you may not be able to grow carrots or parsnips this season but most other things should be grown with a following wind .growing food is a fantastic way to get back to nature and in time you will really know your soil and may i welcome you to the site and im sure you find the method that suits you and your pocket and both methods will produce food its just that im old fashioned in the way i go about things hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 20:14:44 »
I'm no expert on soul but just wanted to say welcome to A4A! Nice part of the country you live in- my parents retired to Burton in Kendal not far from you!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 13:50:08 »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 16:55:58 »
Welcome to A4A

This s my method;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Soil-Preparation/soil%20preparation%20ss.swf
tg that is a monster soil crumbler bet that has seen some action
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal