Author Topic: Ready for tomorrow - can you tell ?  (Read 4037 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
Ready for tomorrow - can you tell ?
« on: March 24, 2005, 23:06:20 »
Got tomorrow off and will be spending all day on the lotty (whether permitting).  Just read through things I may have missed and am all fired up for a hard days'work.  Is it very obvious that I have nothing else to do at the mo ?  Just come home from pigging out.  It's too early for sleep (and I'm too full up still), naff all on the box ad the OH is snoring on the sofa.  Roll on tomorrow.  Sun, light breeze, soil to dig.....this is the life.  Hooray for allotments!
Get with the beat Baggy

osprey480

• Not So New ...
Re: Ready for tomorrow - can you tell ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 23:14:57 »
yes Baggy how exciting eh.  Sometimes when I talk like that non growers think I have lost the plot-nice to see a kindred spirit. I will also be on mine and like a child on Christmas eve will find it hard to sleep tonight haha. Enjoy every min.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Sunny Tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 23:29:45 »
Me too (i.e. stupid, childish excitement).  Every morning I am getting up and running to whatever window sill to see what has germinated in the night.  ;D  The forecast for tomorrow is sunny altho I have probably jinxed that now.  :P  I nearly broke my back on Wednesday sorting out raised beds, but its easy work from now on, just sowing and planting.  8)

My mum thinks I'm crackers because I have a Word document with a big list of things sown and dates, growing conditions, time to germinate etc, etc. I told her at least I don't have 31 varieties of tomato... yet.  ;)  but there is plenty of time for all that in years to come. Tee-hee.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 00:17:45 »
raring to go, raring to go - think I will miss out the sleep bit  :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 07:36:48 »
I'm going to try and organise my first ever BBQ up the lottie this weekend in the hope to lure "Der family" into bringing a few gardening tools and put them to good use ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 07:54:54 »
Going to sort out the borders today and incorporate some veggy stuff among the flower beds.

Checked my germinating seeds and cuttings and found the delphiniums, which I brought in onto the windowsills are a little droopy!?  Don't  know why -  Will chuck them if they dont pick up.

;D :D

Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 07:58:40 »
hope you all have a productive weekend~fingers & toes crossed for good weather for all of you,rain forecast all weekend my end :( :(
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 10:42:44 »
Pants !  I'm stuck at home and cant get a lift to the lotty !  OH is building a roof on legs in the garden.  Kind of a verandah for outside the back door.  Potential for seed growing me thinks.  So I am off to sulk in the greenhouse.
Get with the beat Baggy

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 11:58:52 »
Went to lottie at 7.30 this morning, got lots done. 200 onions in, 2 rows of potatoes and completing loads of jobs that I've been putting off for ages. Now having a well deserved chilled cider ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 13:41:03 »
Been to my plot today  :) :) :) Hurray!  Didn't do what I wanted to do as back hurt straight away and I only put some broken glass in a bin!!!  Anyway kept going very slowly and did a bit more glass collecting.  then I planted three new variegated privets in the gaps in the hedge and fed and watered them which was at least something achieved.  Put some coffee round me onion bed.  Picked some rubbish up.  Checked out compost bin which has a huge flipping dock growin in it.  Turned my leaf compost a bit.  I had wanted to get my manure under my plastic mulch but no barrow - my OH was using it to mix concrete as he's preparing a base for the shed.  Yippee!  I came home after about 2 hours and am going back now to collect my bits and pieces I left behind.  Will take cardboard with me as I'm using it under my spuds (no dig method)   Wardy
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 18:02:52 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 14:21:20 »
My first season on the allotment - and with posts here saying Good Friday was a traditional day for planting potatoes, that's what I did. Misty early then nice and sunny (in Sussex). But with Easter being a variable date, how does that work?
Saw an Easter bunny on my patch first thing - under my upturned wheelbarrow, possibly hiding from the resident foxes on the allotment site. It sat still for a few seconds then darted off, hopping over my raised bed edging. Anyway, cos I don't have that much spare time, I planted all my spuds, first earlies, second earlies and main crop - was this right? only time will tell. Will start some seeds next.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 15:23:17 »
I have put two rows (approx 40) first earlies in today.  Rained on a few times but that is part of the fun.  Feeling happy and R & R'd
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 16:44:12 »
We all seem to have worked really hard today !  thanks to the gorgeous weather !

Ani, I am on my third glass of red wine ! Can't beat it ! And going very cheap at Unwins this week end !  ;D

Just planted my clematis and took some more cuttings of something  ??? :P :o  Not sure what it is.  Put some sunflower seeds in a tub and waiting patiently.

Plants all round doing very well - especially the clematis and roses (all climbers).

Hope everyone is having fun !  :D ;D ;)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 17:31:41 »
Me too-this is going to be a busy weekend. That is if I can move anything-health farms???-OK the massages etc were fun but the gym!!-never worked so hard for many the year.

Stephan

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 17:38:48 »
hubby did some serious diging while i was chatting with other plot holders, pottering about, watering in new(ish) plants and generally day dreamed a bit in the sunshine

ah, this must be the good life, surely?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 17:53:33 »
It wasn't very sunny here - most disappointing.  More sore from all the digging on Wednesday today than Thursday.  :P  So, just a little potting and pottering.  :)
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 18:46:16 »
Arrived at allotment at 8.30am - no one else in house was stirring, had site all to myself for an hour or so.

Planted 2 1/2 rows early potatoes; weeded bed for main potatoes, (but resisted temptation to put them in for another week or two); planted last garlic bulb - late I know, but let's see what happens; weeded main garlic bed - alephant garlic planted a month ago is now through, last November's garlic going great guns; sowed onion seeds under plastic bottles; checked shallots - two are now green!; sowed two more rows carrots, two rows beetroot, two more rows parsnips; weeded fruit beds - where have all those weeds come from?; home for lunch - haddock, jacket spuds and salad; back to allotment; dug celery trench; turned compost heap; came home as Mrs Wivvles off to work; planted dwarf carrots (from Grow Your Own magazine) in containers; sowed herb seeds; transplanted parsley, brushed seedlings; loooooong hooooot bath; made tea; logged on and here I am!
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 19:18:45 »
WOW Wivvles, you've been busy today !!

It's amazing what a ray of sunshine can do to you !!
 ;D :D

osprey480

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 20:23:13 »
wonderful to see so many people enjoying their day today, now this should be shown on national news-perhaps cheer some people up. Simple pleasures-great-made me smile reading this. ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 20:30:00 »
I changed a lot of nappies today and the washing machine broke down  :-\

But Saturday morning is allotment morning  ;D
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal