Author Topic: Wood or metal?  (Read 3849 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Wood or metal?
« on: November 05, 2015, 17:23:24 »
Thinking about building myself a 6x4 timber shed for my tools. However, after calculating the cost of the timber, I'm thinking about buying a metal shed. What do you think? I would value your opinion.😀
Paul

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Wood or metal?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 17:50:30 »
It wouldn't rot.  It wouldn't burn (vandal proof).  It would need a couple of good extra bolts and padlocks on the door for extra theft and vandal proofing.  More likely to be waterproof than the usual felt roof on wooden sheds.

If it's plain metal it's going to look awfully shiny for a while so aesthetically less pleasing but that may not be a worry and can be disguised with runner beans or sweet peas or sweetcorn.   
Obxx - Vendée France

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 18:14:30 »
Main problem with metal sheds is condensation and insulation.

If it is one of the Yardmaster type ready made sheds they are not that secure unless you rivet it together rather than use the screws supplied.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 11:35:26 »

I used to have one at one house 25 years ago to garage my Harley, It is still there. Condensation cured with sticking  a couple of rolls of that thin foam type lining paper. Security was an anti poachers trip wire that fired a blank cartridge. Set it off by mistake once, ears rang for a fortnight. But if it was a thief he would not wait about for the second shot.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 12:09:23 »
You could consider an invisable one like the one I saw at Tatton Park show this year:

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 13:23:10 »

I used to have one at one house 25 years ago to garage my Harley, It is still there. Condensation cured with sticking  a couple of rolls of that thin foam type lining paper. Security was an anti poachers trip wire that fired a blank cartridge. Set it off by mistake once, ears rang for a fortnight. But if it was a thief he would not wait about for the second shot.

Nice solution Ace but could you tell me how you glued the lining paper in place,  I did try 1" thick polystyrene sheet in mine with one of those no nails solvent free adhesives but they started falling down after a few months.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 13:48:32 »
You can often pick up a gallon of pva glue from builders merchants, it has a sell by date for some reason, so they sell the old stuff off cheap. I use it for all sorts of things. Size on a plaster wall, primer for painting, it stuck up the stuff in the shed a treat and for sticking wood there is nothing better. Pretty good as a waterproofing on old shoes for gardening.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 19:01:42 »
Pretty good as a waterproofing on old shoes for gardening.

Thats a great tip ! Dries shiny so saves polishing them !
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal