Author Topic: "Green manure" blues  (Read 2587 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
"Green manure" blues
« on: October 31, 2015, 16:32:09 »
Maybe it was a duff pack, but I will never buy green manure again. Can't recall what kind it was, but I sowed it about 8 weeks ago on an essentially weed-free patch following garlic harvest. Went back today with a view to digging in, but beneath the surface some kind of weed has taken hold. Can't identify it other than to say it's like "underground grass" with shortish roots....the kind you get when you first take on a plot, is everywhere and takes weeks to dig out completely. Taken 3 hours to clear just a small area.  Too much of a coincidence to think it unrelated to the green manure.  Very disheartening.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: "Green manure" blues
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 16:51:40 »
I'm no expert, but could the green manure have been ryegrass?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 17:06:47 »
sounds like it to me
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 18:21:59 »
Oh dear. Have I made a complete muck up. It looks determined to stay put. If it is ryegrass, should I just leave it to break down.

Thanks for all the comments

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 18:33:28 »
Rather than rye grass green manure often contains grazing rye.  The leaf does look somewhat like couch grass.  But it is an annual, so if you dig it in it does not regrow from the roots.

Sorry not much use after you have put in all that work.  But as a bonus the soil will be well broken up.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 18:39:29 »
Oh dear. Have I made a complete muck up. It looks determined to stay put. If it is ryegrass, should I just leave it to break down.

Thanks for all the comments
hey dont worry about that show me a gardener who hasnt planted something and either forgot or didnt think it would grow like that then well you just aint gardened  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 18:57:17 »
Yep, I thought I'd plant a few teasels for the birds...... :BangHead:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal