Author Topic: Daikon/Mooli Success.  (Read 1449 times)

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Daikon/Mooli Success.
« on: September 18, 2015, 21:56:10 »
Following on from a thread posted on the first day of this year I am finally having success with daikon radishes, or mooli if you prefer. :happy7:

Following Tee Gee's advice, apart from the sowing date, I station sowed the daikon on first of august about 10 inches apart along with some chinese cabbage under environmesh. The variety is Minowase and they were thinned to one per station following germination.

Unaffected by root fly and the later sowing as well as the shelter provided by the mesh has allowed them to grow strongly, their shoulders well above ground. By late October or November they should be an excellent size and will make a great contrast with my round and my long black winter radishes.

Now that I've cracked it these will now become an essential part of the annual cropping calendar. :happy7:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Re: Daikon/Mooli Success.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:11:30 »
Well done!

I've sown some mini-mooli and they seem to be doing well so far.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Daikon/Mooli Success.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:50 »
Glad to hear I have been of service Ed.

You have reminded me I must have look at how my lot are doing.

As always I just stick them in and when I am running out of other fresh stuff to eat Ipick a few as required.

That's one of the advantages of this crop .......it just hangs around until you need it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal