Author Topic: broad beans  (Read 2962 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
broad beans
« on: November 03, 2015, 11:04:05 »

For many years I have grown broad bean Aquadulce sown in October sometimes losing a few to mice etc, as they germinate, this year as the ground was very wet just as I wanted to sow I decided to try sowing in a box first and then transplanting later. They are now ready and I am pleased with the germination . Hoping for a good crop in the spring.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: broad beans
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 17:58:16 »
Another plotholder scoffed at me sowing broad bean seeds this weekend. I was already dubious about the chances of success, but when she told me in no uncertain terms they wouldn't grow this far north- well, that was a red rag to a bull! So we'll see what happens!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 18:34:06 »
I am a great fan of autumn sown broad beans and field beans (East Sussex). Putting mine in soon. I have noticed that if you sprout the beans in damp paper/cloth first, they don't seem quite so attractive to predators, though I did have some chewed off their roots last year.  I have never tried transplanting seedlings. How close will you plant them?

In spite of predator attacks I had a huge crop of field beans from sprouted seeds last autumn, and am going for it again over the next week or two. Aquadulce were not so successful....

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 23:20:49 »
I have given up on aquadulce.  I think it is too windy here.  So I would suggest some kind of wind protection.
My self sown field bean plants are quite big, and my owns sown under bottles are looking good.  I will need to take the bottles off soon, so it is difficult to know the best time, too late and the cold gets to them, and too early the squirrels attack.
I had a great crop from Wizards last year.   The oats and rye to protect them is growing well too, except I think the deer are lying on it.  Though I think I sowed too thickly.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 12:43:46 »
Having a go at autumn sowing this year for the first time down here .  Aquadulce beans up and doing well, Shakespeare and Red Cross onions and Douce Provence peas all sprouting well. Not too many losses, had to replant a few beans so far and a few onions pulled up.  Waste of time in Aberdeenshire, frozen solid or buried in snow but if I can keep magpies etc off..........

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 13:05:52 »
I never bother with Autumn sown beans for many of the reasons given above.

If I want an early crop I sow some in Jan/Feb at around 40'F in individual pots and plant them out in late March/early April and I find I catch up with those people who have sown in the autumn.

Add to that I get no losses from weather or vermin.

This year I have given up with Japanese onions as in the past three or four seasons they have not been worth the trouble, so another winter task out of the way.

Been down the plots winter digging this morning and got on quite well.

I think I could be going into winter hibernation early this year weather permitting.

Looking over the plots I think I could have them done and dusted by the end of next week.

Seeds, Compost and fertiliser all ordered, planting plans made, and sowing dates tabulated so then I can say goodbye to 2015 which has not been a bad year but I have had better years.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 22:02:42 »
I've only poked a dozen in the ground. Grew too many last year, Froze a load but the skins seem a bit tough after a spell in the freezer. They are alright blended up in soups though. They should be alright to overwinter here, but I can always bung another load in next spring if the horror stories they are coming up with predicting this winters weather are true.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal